Ridiculous Survey Questions: Exposing Mundane Attempts at Intelligence

In summary: I'll just reference the one that pisses me off more than any other, and would really like to hear what monstrosities have been thrust upon the rest of you guys.In summary, the conversation discussed various examples of surveys and questions that try to categorize people based on their responses, often with limited options and assumptions. These include the half-full or half-empty glass question, the train track dilemma, and the chicken or egg dilemma. There were also discussions about the accuracy of measuring beer in certain glasses and the questionable nature of some job-fit questionnaires.
Psinter said:
Yup, teachers at middle school always tried to play us dumb with their psychological questions with unreal choices..
I don't want to use up memory space with a full quote, but this is an excellent example coming from a direction that I wasn't expecting. I have to say that in my less than humble opinion, those teachers should be fried in their own fat. Pulling that kind of garbage on an adult is sadistic enough; subjecting a child to it is horrendous and possibly child-abuse in some jurisdictions. As disturbing as it is, I thank you for bringing it to light. It reminds me, bitterly, of my Southern Baptist 6th grade teacher who convinced the students (except for the lone Atheist :D) that they would go to hell if they didn't do their homework correctly. (Of course, because I was the only Atheist in the county, she instructed them to beat the dang out of me at least once a week... the whole class, that is, not a fair one-on-one fight. That was when little Danny started morphing into Danger. To this day, I regret that she died of natural causes before I could get my hands around her throat.)
Although I originally had a comedic theme in mind when I started this thread, you have changed my outlook to the point that I would also like to learn of other manipulative rather than simply stupid questions.
Still, though, funny is better for the environment. I'm thinking that perhaps I should ask the Mentors to split this off into two separate threads; one for humour and one for serious social issues arising from stupid questions. I have no problem integrating the two, but some might find it disorienting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:

e.g.: There's a 12 oz. beer glass on the bar with 6 oz. of beer in it. Some dip wants to play amateur psychologist and asks whether I'm an optimist who says that it's half full, or a pessimist who says that it's half empty. My response is always: "I'm a realist, you idiot! It's full. It's half-full of beer and half-full of air."

Engineer: "It's 200% of the required volume."

Edit: replied before seeing Vanadium and zooby's exchange.

zoobyshoe said:
Someone posted a list here once of about 50 answers like this one to this question; answers from many different perspectives. It was pretty funny.
I think it's this one:

http://www.businessballs.com/glass-half-full-empty.htm