Calculating Average Speed: A Stupid Speed Question Homework Solution

In summary: You got it right!In summary, the problem involved a car traveling up a hill at a constant speed of 30 km/h and then returning down the hill at 66 km/h. The task was to calculate the average speed for the round trip. After some confusion and hints, the solution was to pick an arbitrary distance and calculate the time for each leg of the trip. The total time and distance were then used to find the average speed, which was found to be approximately 20.68 km/h. This was confirmed by using another arbitrary distance. The keyword in the problem was "return", indicating that the car had to travel the same distance twice.
IronBrain

Homework Statement

A car travels up the hill at a constant speed of 30 km/h, then returns down hill at the speed 66 km/h. Calculate the average speed round trip

I can't believe I am stumped on such a kindergarten problem, I hate online homework and the garbage system they are designed on.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{66+30}{2} =48 km/h[/itex]

Says I am wrong, which I prolly am, then states the average speed is the ratio of the total displacement over time, obviously, then says use to D to symbolize distance if need be...?

Physics news on Phys.org
IronBrain said:

Homework Statement

A car travels up the hill at a constant speed of 30 km/h, then returns down hill at the speed 66 km/h. Calculate the average speed round trip

I can't believe I am stumped on such a kindergarten problem, I hate online homework and the garbage system they are designed on.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{66+30}{2} =48 km/h[/itex]

Says I am wrong, which I prolly am, then states the average speed is the ratio of the total displacement over time, obviously, then says use to D to symbolize distance if need be...?

I think you just need to pick an arbitrary distance and calculate how long each leg of the trip takes, and use those numbers to figure out the average speed...

Another hint: The way you average is as if the car was going the same amount of time at 30km/h and 66km/h.

rogerbacon said:
Another hint: The way you average is as if the car was going the same amount of time at 30km/h and 66km/h.

Really? But it isn't taking the same amount of time of course, since it it going the same distance at the two speeds in this question. Still, I'll wait until the OP posts his work to see if your way works too.

Hmm as if the car is going the same amount of time at both speeds...
This question is just a tad confusing, pick an arbitrary distance to find the how long each trip takes

something like this? Say I pick 25 km for the distance

[itex]30\frac{km}{h} = \frac{25 km}{t}[/itex]

IronBrain said:
This question is just a tad confusing, pick an arbitrary distance to find the how long each trip takes

something like this? Say I pick 25 km for the distance

[itex]30\frac{km}{h} = \frac{25 km}{t}[/itex]

Yeah. Find t1 and t2 to get your total time, and you know your total distance... And then check it again for some other arbitrary distance. Do you get the same average speed?

Ok, let's see here for the first constant speed of 30 km/h, I am going to pick an arbritary distance of 25 km for both speed constants

[itex]Speed:30 km/h[/itex]

[itex] Distance: 25 [/itex]

[itex]Time: 0.83[/itex]

Next speed constant

[itex]Speed: 66 km/h[/itex]

[itex]Distance: 25 [/itex]

[itex]Time:0.3787[/itex]

Average Speed
[itex]\frac{25}{1.2087}=20.68 km/h[/itex]

Picking another arbitrary distance say 60 km

My average speed equates to 20.62 km/h

Pretty close I'd say, and all I had to do is that? Wow, and the keyword in the problem was "return"?

Good job!

1. What is "Stupid Speed Question"?

"Stupid Speed Question" is a term used to describe a question that is asked without much thought or consideration. It is often used in a humorous or sarcastic manner.

2. Why is it called "Stupid Speed Question"?

The term "stupid speed" is a play on words, combining the word "stupid" to describe the lack of thought put into the question, and "speed" to describe how quickly it is asked without much consideration.

3. Is "Stupid Speed Question" a scientific term?

No, "Stupid Speed Question" is not a scientific term. It is a colloquial term used in casual conversations.

4. Can "Stupid Speed Question" be used in a professional setting?

It is not recommended to use the term "Stupid Speed Question" in a professional setting as it can come off as disrespectful or unprofessional.

5. How can we avoid asking "Stupid Speed Questions"?

To avoid asking "Stupid Speed Questions," it is important to take a moment to think about the question before asking it. Consider the context and whether or not the question is relevant. It is also helpful to do some research beforehand to see if the question has already been answered.