Calc II: I Forgot to Answer One Problem & Got an A-

• Thread starter ktpr2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation discusses the regret of not achieving an A+ in Calculus II, despite already receiving a high A- grade. The individual expresses frustration over missing one problem and not paying enough attention to another set of problems. However, the conversation also highlights the importance of focusing on knowledge rather than grades and moving on from missed opportunities.
ktpr2
I found out I could've gotten an A+ in Calc II if i had answered one more problem. I forgot (dont' ask me how) to answer a problem and there was another set of problems that I should've paid more attnetion to. As is, I got an A-. Stupid stupid stupid!

Physics news on Phys.org
Been there- done that!

You'll survive. Still -A is pretty good. I wouldn't be unsatisfied. :smile:

forgive me, but i am inclined to think the "stupid" part is caring too much about the difference between an A- and an A+. you will be fine when you get over that.

e.g. I myself got a D- in calculus, but i know something about the subject. it's what you know, not what grade you got that matters.

if you keep the right focus you will be fine, but obsessing on what does not matter can sidetrack people sometimes.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
e.g. I myself got a D- in calculus, but i know something about the subject. it's what you know, not what grade you got that matters.
This reminds me of when I was in 7th grade and didn't care about school whatsoever. I had a D- in History, because of all my missing work. Then, the year after that, in 8th grade, I already knew almost everything taught in history, because I remembered it all. Then again, elementary school didn't matter whatsoever gradewise...but yes, it's not the point that he got an A- that bothers him, but that he could have gotten an A+ very easily. Just like when you make that one stupid mistake on a test and get a 97% instead of a 100%, you would have been happier if the mistake was not so stupid.

well.. exam isn't just testing your knowledge.. also your careful-ness

you're backsliding moose, the point is to get beyond wouldve couldve shouldve.

if you want an A+ then get one, and quit making excuses. But it is much, much harder to go from an A- to an A+ than to go from a C to a B or a D to a C, since in those latter cases any correct answer pulls you up, but in the former, you can't miss anything. It is quite wrong to think it was only a minor matter to get an A+, because you only missed one question. If you had focused on that question you might have missed two others. leon is right about carefulness, and focus.

but I still maintain it is not the most important thing to worry about. forget it, set a new goal, and move on to something that counts.

yeah i know there's not a real difference. It's usually is a harder to go from an A- to an A+, but here it was a matter of respect towards Calc II, and I didn't have it on the exam. My calc teacher even told me that one problem would've made the difference and he's a stotic Indian dude that doesn't care about the students.

I just felt like pulling my hair out. But what matters is what was said before: it's what you know that counts, not what you score is. And to "get beyond wouldve couldve shouldve." :)

good man. you're on track.

1. What is Calc II and why is it important?

Calc II, short for Calculus II, is a college-level math course that builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus I. It covers topics such as integration techniques, sequences and series, and multivariable calculus. It is an important course for students pursuing degrees in math, engineering, and other STEM fields.

2. How do I calculate my grade if I forgot to answer one problem and still got an A?

Calculating your grade will depend on the grading system used in your class. If your grade is based on points, you will need to know the total number of points possible and how many you earned. If your grade is based on percentages, you will need to know the percentage value of the problem you missed and how it affects your overall grade. You can use an online grade calculator or consult with your professor for assistance.

3. Is it possible to pass Calc II without answering every problem?

It is possible to pass Calc II without answering every problem, but it may be challenging. Some professors may offer alternative assignments or extra credit opportunities to make up for missed problems. However, it is important to understand the material and practice solving problems to succeed in the course.

4. How can I avoid forgetting to answer a problem in the future?

To avoid forgetting to answer a problem in the future, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and stick to it, so you have enough time to review and complete all assignments. It is also helpful to double-check your work and make sure you have answered all parts of a problem before moving on.

5. What resources are available to help me understand and improve in Calc II?

There are many resources available to help you understand and improve in Calc II. Your professor may offer office hours or tutoring services. You can also find online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Additionally, forming a study group with classmates can be a helpful way to review material and work through challenging problems together.