Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid Twins Question.

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    If we add a third observer to the twins paradox at the turnaround point (at rest with earth), and with a clock that was synched with the other two when the ship left earth, what will that clock read when this third observer sees the ship turn around?

Assuming v= 0.8c, distance = 8 ly.

Also, since this third observer and the ship's twin could look at each other's clocks (locally), what would each observe the other's clock to read?

Thanks,
    Al

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean... the third observer and the Earthbound twin have synchronized their clocks according to Einstein's convention? Or equivalently, measuring simultaneity relative to an inertial coordinate chart where both the third observer and Earthbound twin are stationary, their clocks read the same value at the same (coordinate) time?

Just choose a coordinate chart and compute! (An inertial coordinate chart centered on Earth is probably the simplest)

As measured by what coordinate chart?

Again, just select coordinates and compute!

In what way are you having trouble making the calculations?

4. Jun 1, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your thoughtful and complete answers to my questions.

Al

5. Jun 1, 2008 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're welcome. But I did not intend to give a complete answer, but instead help you take this opportunity to gain experience through doing the problem (or to help correct whatever was preventing you from being able to do so, if appropriate). I apologize for denying you that opportunity, and will try harder to avoid spoiling the next problem.

6. Jun 1, 2008 #5
    Oh, don't worry, you didn't deny me that opportunity. After all, I had that opportunity before I ever posted. So don't worry, your detailed answers didn't spoil it for me.

Al

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?