Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupidity now illegal in California

1. Sep 15, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/reuters09-15-163305.asp?t=renew&vts=91520061658

I love it. The fine needs a couple extra 0's however. If I have to pick between saving peoples lives and not being able to laugh my ass off when some starbucks drinking, ipod playing 17 year old gets pulled over and fined (or, if possible, tires shot out by our humble police force putting their lives on the line everyday for the public) through the nose, the choice is obvious.

2008 though, what the hell. Educate the public? You need almost 2 years to get the point "What you use to do all the time that killed so many people will now get you ticketed (or arrested in a perfect world)" across? That's just a cop out to allow the ACLU or some lawyer bregade to file suit and eventually get it repealed because some soccer mom can't make her 80 calls a day to their kids.

California needs to eat bart's shorts.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I actually noticed a guy driving in the lane next to me on the highway reading a paperback!!! I will never forget that, I couldn't believe it, what an idiot. Although women doing their makeup and hair is common, and I've seen a few people reading maps while driving.

2008, well, at least they're putting a law into place. I think they need to require that you have a holster in your car that you plug your phone into so that it becomes a speakerphone. I think I'll make that along with my functional bra.

4. Sep 15, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What makes them think those people are going to pay any more attention to the road if they're talking using a headset or speakerphone? The only difference is that the drivers around them can't see their hand held to their ear to have fair warning the person driving is not paying any attention to their surroundings.

It should carry the same fines and penalties as drunk driving if you get in an accident while on the cell phone. Did anyone see that Myth Buster's episode where they showed that it's true, you're just as dangerous driving while talking on the cell phone as when you're legally intoxicated?

5. Sep 15, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well at the least, they're more likely to have both hands on the wheel. Then again watch the onslought of people with their headsets on driving with 1 hand, starbucks on the other hand (oh wait...)

I'm not sure that was a scientifically accurate experiment :biggrin:

6. Sep 15, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I bet we all saw that episode. :biggrin: Great show.

Yeah, I agree with that law completely! It's very rare that there is an emergency big enough that you need to talk on your cellphone while driving.

I think it's still legal in Ontario. I'm not sure.

The real problem I think is catching people do it. How do you prove that?

Some Officers have a hard time proving someone is drunk when they are clearly drunk! That's the justice system.

7. Sep 15, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Same way you catch someone with their seatbelts off. I'm not actually sure if they need the dash-cameras going but whatever their method, it should apply to cell phone users as well.

8. Sep 15, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pfff... when is that last time that you heard of someone that got a ticket for no seatbelt while they were driving? I'm not talking about the tickets handed over at a check up spot or whatever.

I had a friend who never wore a seatbelt. One day he got pulled over for it, but while pulling over he put it on. He did not get a ticket.

9. Sep 15, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That has actually been my only criticism of laws targetting cellphone use while driving...it seems to single that out as the only form of distraction while driving, and suggests that all the other stupid things people do to distract them while driving are okay. I have seen people who can talk on the cellphone and pay attention to the road at the same time, though far more cannot and don't realize it. Though, those people also can't change the radio dial, talk to a passenger, or eat the food they picked up at the drive-thru window and still pay attention to their driving either. All of that can be eliminated as sources of distraction...we don't have to do everything while in the car. The only distraction I don't know how to eliminate are the screaming children in the backseat. Maybe they need those soundproofed windows to divide the driver's seat from the backseat like they have in limos? :biggrin:

10. Sep 15, 2006 #9
    We should be like Germany. Both hands on the wheel and go as fast as you would like.

11. Sep 15, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: You mean like I-95 between Baltimore and Boston?

12. Sep 15, 2006 #11
    That's the problem, people DONT know how to freaking drive around here. Just today I saw a car accident when I went to 7-11.....what idiots, I sware.

Sometimes I drive briskly just so I can stay away from all the other fools. I like to be in front of all of them so I dont have to worry about 'em.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  13. Sep 15, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's because they're all talking to people on the speakerphone in the car!

I don't know if the driving has gotten worse, or I've just been away so long that I'm no longer used to it, but the drivers on 95 are horrendous!

14. Sep 15, 2006 #13

russ_watters

It is interesting to watch my boss drive. He doesn't have a headset, so when he needs take notes on his conversation, he has to cradle the phone between his ear and shoulder...

15. Sep 15, 2006 #14
    Lately, my drive to school in the morning takes me 1hr 5min when it should normally take 30min. I dont know where all these cars came from, but they were not there last semester. Its really bad on mondays, aye last monday was so bad...:rolleyes:

When I drive, its no phones..only eating if im really hungry. Its always both hands on the wheel, eyes on the road, and driving 60-mph on any and every road I go...:biggrin:

For some reason, cops never give me a hard time. They always drive really fast, so I follow them to get where I need to go faster. Hey, if they wanna go fast so do I. Then when we meet up at a red light they always look at me like im crazy because everyone always goes 10mph when a cop is on the road. I'm the only one going 5-miles over with a cop on my side. Do people think the speed limit suddenly changes to 10 below just because a cop is next to you?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  16. Sep 15, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I'd prefer watching that from a car behind him (with foot hovering over the brake pedal) than from the passenger seat! :surprised

My phone has feature where you can just push a button and record the conversation, just so you avoid things like that (comes in handy when someone has to give you directions on the road...not that I usually remember I have that feature when I need it, and end up pulling over somewhere and hunting for a scrap of paper to write down the directions, or call back every few blocks for the next set of turns).

17. Sep 15, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's always worst the first few weeks of the fall semester, when all the students are still going to all their classes. Once they start getting lazy and don't show up, the commute gets easier. :biggrin:

18. Sep 15, 2006 #17
    I wish, these people are going to work down in DC.

19. Sep 16, 2006 #18

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey moon.

In my opinion it should be forbidden HERE to talk to the cell phone and drive at the same time. There are some reasons for doing that:

i) Compared to europeans drivers: your traffic education is worse, but you are more polite on the road though. You almost don't have any skill for fast movements or fast reactions. You are not used to heavy and stressful traffic (except in main cities as LA or NY). As a matter of fact, your most dangerous movement driving is changing the lines. It is because of that small skill for avoiding the crash in a critical situation that you should have both hands on the steering wheel. It IS very important to take over the control of the car completely. And there is a huge different between having one hand and having both of them on the steering wheel.

ii) Talking to the cell phone takes you away a good percentage of neurons, which should be working on paying attention to the road. I am not particularly friend of electronic entertainments in cars, like radios or TV or GPS, they also collaborate to distraction. And you know that only 0.001 seconds of distraction is enough for dying.

Anyway, you are very lucky here. You don't have almost any manual car. With a manual car it is fairly difficult to talk through the cell phone and handle the gears and the steering wheel. Some stupid people do it in Europe though, and it is one of the first causes of accident there.

During my driving history in CA, I have honked the horn a lot of times, more than the average here, and I can say that most of my sound receptors where people talking to the damn cell phone.

20. Sep 16, 2006 #19
    It's been illegal in Aus for ages now, for any driver.

Edit: When I say Aus I really mean at least Victoria, not sure about the other states.

21. Sep 16, 2006 #20

jtbell

I can walk to school (work) in less than 15 minutes. There are advantages to living in small towns. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?