Can Zero Vectors Exist in Vector Equations?

• Thread starter odie5533
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: The question is poorly written, but it is quite simple.The question wants to know how \vec{A} + \vec{B} = \vec{C} and |\vec{A}| - |\vec{B}| = |\vec{C}| are possible. We are given that \vec{A} - \vec{B} = \vec{C} and that \vec{B} = 0\hat{_i} + 0\hat{_j} + 0\hat{_k}.So the question is, how can the equation \vec{A} - \vec{B} = \vec{C} be satisfied when \vec{B} = 0\hat{_
odie5533

Homework Statement

Vectors [tex]\vec{A}[/tex], [tex]\vec{B}[/tex], and [tex]\vec{C}[/tex] satisy the vector equation [tex]\vec{A} + \vec{B} = \vec{C}[/tex]. Their magnitudes are related by [tex]\vec{A} - \vec{B} = \vec{C}[/tex]. Explain how this is possible.

The Attempt at a Solution

Vector [tex]\vec{B} = 0\hat{_i} + 0\hat{_j} + 0\hat{_k}[/tex]This was a question on my quiz. I received no credit for my solution. After class, I asked the professor why my solution was wrong and he then told me that since the vector I chose had a magnitude of zero, it did not exist. I argued my point a bit, but soon gave up. I was wondering, do zero vectors exist? I found another solution to the problem, but had not written it on my quiz:

The Attempt at a Solution

Vector [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] is antiparallel to [tex]\vec{A}[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean |A|-|B|=|C|. Antiparallel certainly works, if |B|<=|A|. And yes, Virginia, there is are zero vectors. But there's only one in euclidean norm. Yes, your first solution is also correct. Maybe just not what they were expecting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I wrote the problem word for word, so no, I don't mean [tex]|\vec{A}| - |\vec{B}| = |\vec{C}|[/tex].

Also, can anyone give me proof of the existence of zero vectors?

Last edited:
[tex]\vec{A} - \vec{B} = \vec{C}[/tex]? Those aren't magnitudes. Possibly the exam wasn't written well either.

Dick said:
[tex]\vec{A} - \vec{B} = \vec{C}[/tex]? Those aren't magnitudes. Possibly the exam wasn't written well either.

It wasn't, at least in my opinion. The last question was ([tex]\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}[/tex]) + [tex]\vec{C}[/tex] with given components. But that is off-topic.Is there any proof zero vectors can exist?

Last edited:
You already listed one, 0i+0j+0k. A vector space always has a unique zero vector because it's an additive group. Depending on the definition of the norm, other non-zero vectors can also have zero norm.

Last edited:
Dick said:
You already listed one, 0i+0j+0k. A vector space always has a unique zero vector because it's an additive group. Depending on the definition of the norm, other non-zero vectors can also have zero norm.
But do those exist? I mean I wrote it, but I just made it up on the spot to solve the problem. I've never actually come across a zero vector, and don't see when or where I would.

The displacement vector in moving from A to A is A-A=0. That's the zero vector. (1,1,1)-(1,1,1)=(0,0,0). I just ran across it.

A badly written question... I would definitely have been confused by the way it is written

I'd probably have done it the same way as you.

[tex]\vec{A} + \vec{B} = \vec{C}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{A} - \vec{B} = \vec{C}[/tex]

subtract the first equation from the second implies:

[tex]2\vec{B} = 0[/tex]
so
[tex]\vec{B} = 0[/tex]

Yeah, he should have written the question as:
[tex]|\vec{A}| - |\vec{B}| = |\vec{C}|[/tex]

I think your prof might have been looking for a solution like this...

take the dot product of each side with itself

[tex](\vec{A} + \vec{B})\cdot(\vec{A} + \vec{B}) = \vec{C}\cdot\vec{C}[/tex]

then evaluating the left side

[tex]|\vec{A}|^2 + 2\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} + |\vec{B}|^2 = |\vec{C}|^2[/tex] (equation 1)

And then square the second equation you should have been given:

[tex]|\vec{A}| - |\vec{B}| = |\vec{C}|[/tex]
[tex]|\vec{A}|^2 - 2|\vec{A}||\vec{B}| + |\vec{B}|^2 = |\vec{C}|^2[/tex] (equation 2)

then using equations 1 and 2

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} = -|\vec{A}||\vec{B}|[/tex]

from which you get that A and B are antiparallel...

odie5533 said:
It wasn't, at least in my opinion. The last question was ([tex]\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}[/tex]) + [tex]\vec{C}[/tex] with given components. But that is off-topic.

Is there any proof zero vectors can exist?

Yes, the zero vector exists! If it did not, the operation [itex] \vec{A} - \vec{A} [/itex] would not be defined.

A few comments:

a) The way the question is written in yoru initial post, it simply does nto make any sense at all. As someone mentioned, he probably meant an equation for the difference of magnitude. I am amazed that a prof would write a question like this and not admit that it is worded incorrectly.

b) the question you mentioned just above where a vector is added to a scalar product does not make any sense either. One can't add vectors to scalars. I hope this is a typo and not a second key mistake in the same test!

c) I don't understand your answer. You said that B is zero but you also said that [itex] \vec{A} = \vec{C} [/itex] ? Or you said that ll three vectors are zero?
Your answer is indeed correct, although slightly "trivial". It's tricky to argue but to me it seems that if the prof does not specify that some cases must be excluded, they should be accepted. But it sounds as if he (or she) does not accept zero vectors as possible vectors. Which is wrong.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9945/quizpage1as3.png http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9184/quizpage2vf9.png
I had problems with questions 2, 5, and 7c. For 2 I used [D] instead of [L] in my dimensional analysis, 5 is the one listed above, and 7c I got right. After I turned in my quiz I asked the prof how to solve number 7 c and a few minutes later it was concluded that it is not a very easy task to add a vector to a scalar. As a side note, this is my first physics course =/

Last edited by a moderator:

What exactly is the "Stupidly Simple Vector Problem"?

The "Stupidly Simple Vector Problem" is a basic mathematical problem that involves finding the magnitude and direction of a vector given its components. It is often used as an introductory exercise in physics and mathematics courses.

What are the steps to solve the "Stupidly Simple Vector Problem"?

To solve the problem, you first need to identify the given components of the vector, which are typically the magnitude and direction. Then, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the vector. Finally, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and inverse trigonometric functions to find the direction.

What are some real-life applications of the "Stupidly Simple Vector Problem"?

The principles of vector problems are used in various fields such as engineering, navigation, and physics. For example, engineers use vector analysis to design structures that can withstand forces from different directions, while pilots use it to calculate the direction and speed of winds during flight.

What are some common mistakes made when solving the "Stupidly Simple Vector Problem"?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert angles from degrees to radians when using trigonometric functions. Another mistake is incorrectly identifying the direction of the vector, as this can affect the sign of the components and ultimately the final answer.

Are there any tips for solving the "Stupidly Simple Vector Problem" more efficiently?

One tip is to draw a diagram of the vector and its components to visualize the problem. This can also help in identifying any mistakes in the calculations. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using the appropriate trigonometric identities can also make the solving process more efficient.