Sturm-Liouville Problem. Two eigenfunctions have the same number of zeros

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discussed the "standard" Sturm-Liouville problem and its corresponding sequence of eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. It was noted that the Sturm oscillation theorem and Weyl's alternative theorem can help explain why eigenfunctions with distinct eigenvalues may have the same number of zeros. The shape of the domain and form of the boundary conditions can also affect the number of zeros in an eigenfunction. Further research may provide additional insights into this topic.
omyojj
Hello,
As I know, the "standard" Sturm-Liouville problem
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}p\frac{d}{dx}y + \lambda\rho y = 0[/tex]
with boundary conditions
[tex]\begin{align}y^{\prime}(a)&=0 \\
y^{\prime}(b)&=F(\lambda)\end{align}[/tex]
has sequence of eigenvalues
[tex]\lambda < \lambda_1 < \lambda_2 < ... ...[/tex]
with corresponding eigenfunctions [itex]y_0, y_1, ... [/itex]
The "Standard" (sorry I'm not a math guy) Sturm's oscillation theorem states that
[itex]y_n[/itex] has exactly n zeros in (a,b).
(In some cases, there is a skip in the counting of the zeros of the eigenfunction compared to the index of the eigenvalue, n-1, or n-2 ... depending on the form of [itex]F(\lambda)[/itex]. (reference: Sturm-Liouville theory: past and present page. 20)

I solved the equation numerically and examined the number of zeros in [itex]y_n[/itex].
I find that for [itex]\lambda_0[/itex], [itex]y_0[/itex] has no zeros in the interval.
But for overtones, I find

# of zeros in y_n = (n+1)/2 for odd n = 1, 3, 5, ...
# of zeros in y_n = n/2 for even n = 2, 4, 6, ...

that is to say, eigenfunctions [itex]y_1, y_2[/itex] with distinct eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_1, \lambda_2[/itex]
have the same number of zeros (only one).

I'm trying to figure out why this is so.
Is there any theorem with regard to this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can provide some insight into why this may be the case. The standard Sturm-Liouville problem is a widely studied topic in mathematics, and there are several theorems and results that can help explain why eigenfunctions with distinct eigenvalues have the same number of zeros.

One possible explanation is the Sturm oscillation theorem, which states that the number of zeros of an eigenfunction is equal to the index of the eigenvalue, plus or minus one depending on the form of the boundary conditions. In your case, the boundary conditions are such that there is a skip in the counting of zeros, which can lead to the eigenfunctions having the same number of zeros.

Another possible explanation is the Weyl's alternative theorem, which states that if two eigenfunctions have the same eigenvalue, then they must be linearly dependent. This means that the eigenfunctions cannot have a different number of zeros, as they would be identical in this case.

It is also worth mentioning that the number of zeros in an eigenfunction can be affected by the shape of the domain and the form of the boundary conditions. In some cases, the number of zeros may not follow a specific pattern, but in general, the number of zeros can provide valuable information about the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a Sturm-Liouville problem.

I hope this helps to shed some light on why eigenfunctions with distinct eigenvalues may have the same number of zeros. Keep exploring and researching, and you may come across other theorems and results that can provide further insights into this topic.

What is the Sturm-Liouville problem?

The Sturm-Liouville problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a second-order linear differential equation with boundary conditions. It is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.

What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a special type of function that satisfies a certain equation, known as the eigenvalue equation, which involves an operator and a constant value. In the context of the Sturm-Liouville problem, the eigenfunctions represent the solutions to the differential equation.

What does it mean for two eigenfunctions to have the same number of zeros?

If two eigenfunctions have the same number of zeros, it means that they have the same number of points where they cross the x-axis. This is significant because the number of zeros of an eigenfunction is related to its eigenvalue, which in turn affects the properties of the solutions to the Sturm-Liouville problem.

Why is it important for two eigenfunctions to have the same number of zeros?

In the Sturm-Liouville problem, the eigenfunctions form a basis for the space of solutions to the differential equation. If two eigenfunctions have the same number of zeros, it means that they are linearly independent and can be used to represent a wider range of solutions. This makes it easier to find a solution to the problem.

How can the number of zeros of eigenfunctions be used to solve the Sturm-Liouville problem?

The number of zeros of eigenfunctions can be used to determine the eigenvalues, which in turn can be used to find the corresponding eigenfunctions. This allows us to construct a complete set of solutions to the differential equation and solve the Sturm-Liouville problem.