Sturm Liouville problems

• Thread starter Mappe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding coefficients for expressing a boundary function in terms of a sum of Legendre polynomials. The person is having trouble integrating a general Legendre polynomial multiplied by a function, specifically x^2, and is looking for a quick solution. They are given two methods to try: using the Rodriguez formula and integrating by parts, or taking advantage of the fact that the function is only second order and using the orthogonality relationship of Legendre polynomials. The second method is recommended for low ordered polynomials, but the first method should also be attempted in case of a more complicated boundary function on the exam.
Mappe
Hello.
I have a big test tomorrow, and there is one thing I can't seem to figure out:

In Sturm-Liouville problems, when the legendre polynomials is the solution to the equation, and the boundry-conditions is a function of some sort, I am trying to find the coefficients for expressing the boundry function in terms of a sum of legendre polynomials.

But how do I find the general coefficient for every order of the legendre polynomial? I mean, how do I integrate a general legendre polynomial multiplied by a function? My specific boundry function is x^2.

Thanx and please be quick :O

Physics news on Phys.org
Take advantage of the orthoganality of the Legendre polynomials,

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} P_m(x)P_n(x)dx=\frac{2}{2n+1}\delta_{mn}[/tex]

Or, equivalently

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}P_m(\cos\theta)P_n(\cos\theta)\sin\theta d\theta=\frac{2}{2n+1}\delta_{mn}[/tex]

Thanx, but I meant to integrate the legendre with another function, <f,P(n)>, the inner product. My function is x^2, so the integral/inner product will be <x^2,P(n)>, to find the coefficients for a series-expression of x^2 with legendre as the base.

Okay, so you are having trouble evaluating the integrals, I see.

There are at least two ways I can think of:

(1)Use the Rodriguez formula and integrate by parts (straightforward but slightly difficult)

(2)Take advantage of the fact that your function in this case is only second order, and hence will only be a sum of the first three Legendre Polynomials ([itex]P_0(x)[/itex], [itex]P_1(x)[/itex], and [itex]P_2(x)[/itex]). Start with the highest order Polynomial (the one that contains an [itex]x^2[/itex] term and realize that in order to get [itex]1x^2[/itex], you must multiply it by [itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex], but [itex]\frac{2}{3}P_2(x)=x^2-\frac{1}{3}[/itex] and so you must get rid of the constant term, which you can do by adding [itex]\frac{1}{3}P_0(x)[/itex]...hence, [itex]x^2=\frac{2}{3}P_2(x)+\frac{1}{3}P_0(x)[/itex] and you can evaluate [itex]\int_{-1}^{1}x^2P_n(x)dx[/itex] by using the orthoganility relationship above.

This second method is by far the easiest for low ordered polynomials like [itex]x^2[/itex], but I recommend you also give the other method a try in case you run into a more complicated boundary function on your exam.

1. What is a Sturm Liouville problem?

A Sturm Liouville problem is a type of boundary value problem that arises in the field of differential equations. It involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a second-order linear differential equation subject to specified boundary conditions.

2. What are the applications of Sturm Liouville problems?

Sturm Liouville problems have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model and analyze phenomena such as heat flow, vibration of strings and membranes, and quantum mechanics.

3. What are the key properties of Sturm Liouville problems?

The most important properties of Sturm Liouville problems include self-adjointness, orthogonality of eigenfunctions, and completeness of eigenfunctions. These properties make them powerful tools for solving differential equations and analyzing physical systems.

4. How are Sturm Liouville problems solved?

The solution of a Sturm Liouville problem involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the associated differential equation. This can be done analytically for certain special cases, but in general, numerical methods such as the shooting method or the finite element method are used.

5. Can Sturm Liouville problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, Sturm Liouville problems can have an infinite number of solutions, each corresponding to a different eigenvalue. However, the eigenfunctions are orthogonal to each other, meaning they are linearly independent and do not overlap.