Solving the Sturm-Liouville System: Finding Eigenvalues and Eigenfunctions

• Thread starter sassie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary: Yes, so I am trying to get the general solutions to the given equation but I do not know how to.Okay, what I did was (sorry I did skip a few steps): eligeLHS = -(1+x^2)y''-2xy'-(\lambda \frac{1}{1 + x^2}) y=0I then multiplied through by (1+x^2)((1+x^{2})^{2})y''+2x(1+x^{2}) + \lambda y =0Now, I understand how you got the left hand side of the equation you gave, I
sassie

Homework Statement

Evaluate and find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for:

[tex]-\frac{d}{dx}[(1+x^{2})\frac{dy}{dx}]=\lambda\frac{1}{1+x^{2}}y}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, what I did was to expand the given equation to get:

[tex]((1+x^{2})^{2})y''+2x(1+x^{2})y' + \lambda y =0[/tex] <---- edit typo

But then I get on how to get the needed general solution. I have tried substitution by letting [tex]t=1+x^{2}[/tex] and then using the chain rule to get the first and second derivatives etc. I tried that to get a nice equation, but it ended up with a messier equation. Now I am really stuck and don't know what to do. Your help is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sassie said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate and find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, what I did was to expand the given equation to get:

[tex]((1+x^{2})^{2})y''+2x(1+x^{2}) + \lambda y =0[/tex]

But then I get on how to get the needed general solution. I have tried substitution by letting [tex]t=1+x^{2}[/tex] and then using the chain rule to get the first and second derivatives etc. I tried that to get a nice equation, but it ended up with a messier equation. Now I am really stuck and don't know what to do. Your help is very much appreciated.
It looks like you made an error when you differentiated. I get
[tex]-(1 + x^2)y'' -2x \frac{dy}{dx} = \lambda \frac{1}{1 + x^2} y' - \frac{2x}{(1 + x^2)^2} y'[/tex]

After multiplying both sides by (1 + x2)2 I don't get what you show.

Mark44 said:
It looks like you made an error when you differentiated. I get
[tex]-(1 + x^2)y'' -2x \frac{dy}{dx} = \lambda \frac{1}{1 + x^2} y' - \frac{2x}{(1 + x^2)^2} y'[/tex]

After multiplying both sides by (1 + x2)2 I don't get what you show.

Okay, what I did was (sorry I did skip a few steps):

LHS = [tex]-(1+x^2)y''-2xy'-(\lambda \frac{1}{1 + x^2}) y=0[/tex]

I then multiplied through by [tex](1+x^2)[/tex]

Now, I understand how you got the left hand side of the equation you gave, I am a little confused about how you got the right hand side.

But can anyone help me with this question? I've been working on it for 5 hours straight and still I can't a solution! This question is just so much harder than ones I have handled previously!

ok so the first step is to solve the general ode

then find the eigenvalues and functions from the general solution, using the boundary conditions, where are you up to?

EDIT - re-read, so you're trying to find the general solutions...

Last edited:
I haven't even got the general ODE and that's what I have been having problems with. I have absolutely no idea how to obtain it :'(

I know it should be easy but for the life of me, I can't do it

lanedance said:
ok so the first step is to solve the general ode

then find the eigenvalues and functions from the general solution, using the boundary conditions, where are you up to?

EDIT - re-read, so you're trying to find the general solutions...

Re: EDIT

Yes, so I am trying to get the general solutions to the given equation but I do not know how to.

sassie said:
Okay, what I did was (sorry I did skip a few steps):

LHS = [tex]-(1+x^2)y''-2xy'-(\lambda \frac{1}{1 + x^2}) y=0[/tex]

I then multiplied through by [tex](1+x^2)[/tex]

Now, I understand how you got the left hand side of the equation you gave, I am a little confused about how you got the right hand side.

I should not have differentiated the right side. I erred by thinking incorrectly that we were differentiating both sides. Sorry for the bad advice - it was late at night and I misread your equation.

Your equation still has an error, though. It is missing a y' factor in the second term.
[tex]((1+x^{2})^{2})y''+2x(1+x^{2})y' + \lambda y =0[/tex]

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
I should not have differentiated the right side. I erred by thinking incorrectly that we were differentiating both sides. Sorry for the bad advice - it was late at night and I misread your equation. Your equation was correct as it was.

Oh, okay! I was pondering why your RHS was the way it was. But can you help me with getting the equation into a form where I can the general solution? I REALLY need a hint to get me on the right track. I am sure I can solve for the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions myself, it's just been getting the general solution which has been causing me problems.

EDIT re: error sorry, that was a typo

Last edited:
yeah that's tricky, mucked around with a few things, series was pretty nasty, even if you solve for the lambda = 0 case you get an inverse tangent...

one thing i did notice however is that if you use the chain rule with some substitution t(x), then using chain rule, with dashes for x derivative & dots for t derivative
[tex] y' = \frac{d}{dx}y(t(x)) = \frac{dy(t)}{dt}\frac{dt(x)}{dx} = \dot{y} t' [/tex]

so then it would be nice to cancel the x term in the brackets, so i started with
[tex] t'(x) = \frac{dt(x)}{dx} = 1+x^2[/tex]

and things evolved nicely form there...

Last edited:
the nice part is that after cancelling the term, you're left with:
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(\dot{y}) = \ddot{y} t'(x) = \ddot{y}(1+x^2)[/tex]

and unless i missed something, everything simplifies a heap... ;)

lanedance said:

Okay, thanks. I'll try that out :)

sassie, see the end of my post #8. Your equation in the first post did have an error in it.

Mark44 said:
sassie, see the end of my post #8. Your equation in the first post did have an error in it.

Thanks, I did notice that mistake :)

lanedance said:

Hey lanedance, is it possible for you to put up more of your working? I seem to be getting some thing different

apologies - think i made a mistake writing down the ODE, so it doesn't cancel like i thought;(

lanedance said:
apologies - think i made a mistake writing down the ODE, so it doesn't cancel like i thought;(

sorry, that was my fault. i wrote down the wrong ode, but mark44 pointed out the mistake. look's like I'm back at square 1.

I spent a little time reviewing S-L equations this morning. In most of the examples I saw there were boundary conditions. Are there boundary conditions in your problem?

Mark44 said:
I spent a little time reviewing S-L equations this morning. In most of the examples I saw there were boundary conditions. Are there boundary conditions in your problem?

yes,

y(0)=0 and y(1)=0

so the original ODE is:
sassie said:
[tex]((1+x^{2})^{2})y''+2x(1+x^{2})y' + \lambda y =0[/tex] <---- edit typo

ok think I've may have made some headway on the ODE, the lambda x=0 case is easy to solve & gives an inverse tangent function, which may be a hint of what direction to go...

now assume we are going to simplify by making a substitution t(x), then
[tex] y' = \dot{y}t' [/tex]
[tex]y'' = \ddot{y} (t')^2 + \dot{y} t'' [/tex]

so going back to the DE and substituting in gives
[tex]((1+x^{2})^{2})(\ddot{y}(t')^2 + \dot{y}t'') +2x(1+x^{2})\dot{y}t' + \lambda y =0[/tex]

collecting terms
[tex]((t')^2(1+x^{2})^{2})\ddot{y} + (t''(1+x^2)^2+t'2x(1+x^2))\dot{y} + \lambda y =0 [/tex]

so then it looks worth trying
[tex] t' = \frac{1}{1+x^2} [/tex]

then differentiating again gives
[tex] t'' = \frac{-2x}{(1+x^2)^2} [/tex]

then see how that goes subbing in, hopefully will simplify down for a better DE for t...

if this works, you'll need to be careful with your boundary conditions, on determining the eigenvalues & eigenfunctions...

Last edited:
so did you get to [itex] \ddot{y}+\lambda y = 0 [/itex]?

What is a Sturm Liouville system?

A Sturm Liouville system is a mathematical problem that involves finding functions that satisfy a certain differential equation and boundary conditions. It is named after the mathematicians Jacques Charles François Sturm and Joseph Liouville.

What is the significance of a Sturm Liouville system?

Sturm Liouville systems have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve problems involving waves and vibrations, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. They also have important theoretical implications in the study of differential equations and operator theory.

What is the Sturm Liouville theorem?

The Sturm Liouville theorem states that for a certain class of differential equations and boundary conditions, the eigenvalues of the system will be real and the corresponding eigenfunctions will form an orthogonal set. This theorem is the foundation for solving Sturm Liouville systems.

How is a Sturm Liouville system solved?

The most common method for solving a Sturm Liouville system is through separation of variables. This involves assuming a solution of the form u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) and using this to reduce the problem to a set of ordinary differential equations. The solutions of these equations can then be combined to form the general solution to the system.

What are some examples of Sturm Liouville systems?

Some examples of Sturm Liouville systems include the heat equation, the wave equation, and the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics. These systems can be applied to problems such as heat conduction, vibrating strings, and the behavior of particles in a potential well. They also have applications in fields such as signal processing and image analysis.