Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Style men find more attractive

1. I'm male, I prefer square tips

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. I'm male, I prefer round tips

42 vote(s)
    72.4%
  3. I'm female, I prefer square tips

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. I'm female, I prefer round tips

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. Jan 31, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is something that I've been curious about for a long time. I really want to know which style men find more attractive, but since everyone loves polls, I will allow both men and women to vote.

I want to know, do you think round tip or square tipped nails are more attractive?

Here are the examples.

Round tipped

[​IMG]

Square tipped

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Fingernails

You could minimize variables by making them both without polish (or with, I suppose).

Why are long fingernails our only choices? :tongue:

4. Jan 31, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It's not so much whether square or round, as it is how they are used.

5. Jan 31, 2009 #4

Evo

You would not believe how hard it was to find pictures of round tipped fingernails. And the painted square tips all had decals and jewelry on them.

here's a rounder tip french manicure to compare to the square tip.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. Jan 31, 2009 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google for "stock fingernail photo" :smile:

7. Jan 31, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

On women, my personal favorites are rounded, though masochists could opt for squared in the bedroom, I suppose. My cousin's younger daughter got in the habit of getting applied nails like those in the second image, and developed a nasty nail-fungus that was ugly and hard to get rid of. When I was doing consulting work in the deep south in the '90s, it seemed like a fad that most black female fast-food workers had to have silver or gold-plated nail-covers with engraving, little diamonds, etc on them. After my cousin's girl developed that nail-fungus, I had to think "how many of these young ladies are stuck with really ugly, damaged, infected nails because of vanity?".

I have always kept the fingernails (rounded) on my right hand a bit long, to allow finger-picking on guitar, but no longer than the fleshy part of the fingers. Need both flesh and nail for control and modulation of attack.

8. Jan 31, 2009 #7

"I'm male, I prefer round tips "

I find them round tips better than square tips (which look hideous and unnatural).

But, I would have voted:
    "I'm male, I dislike both round and square" if that was available.

9. Jan 31, 2009 #8

russ_watters

Agreed - there should be an option "I'm male - I prefer boobs".

10. Jan 31, 2009 #9

Evo

Do you prefer them round or square?

11. Jan 31, 2009 #10

Mk

What? I voted before I read the first post, I thought this was about normal fingernails (aka, real)

I prefer real fingernails over false ones. In fact, I don't like false ones at all.

12. Jan 31, 2009 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I'm female and I like square tips. On females. I get completely creeped out when I see long nails on guys.

13. Jan 31, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Or modest boobs, and well-rounded butts. There seems to be something going on in that regard. Very seldom do I see a woman with both, though nowadays the boob part can be purchased as an add-on.

14. Jan 31, 2009 #13

Mk

Round or Square?

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Jan 31, 2009 #14

I love the square tips, and I'm female. Though I have never had them, I just think they look nicer. I do plan to get them sometime, when I have the money.

Long nails on guys...yeah I find it kinda creepy, too.

16. Jan 31, 2009 #15

I like square tips, but they have to be done perfectly and not be too long.

17. Feb 1, 2009 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like them round, that way they look less like tentacles. I have naturally long nails, they just keep on growing and don't damage.. until a few weeks when they all decided to split and break off :cry: Now I need to wait for the damaged part to grow out, I blame a new (it was an expensive one) nailcutter.

18. Feb 1, 2009 #17

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer round out of the choices, but I'm no fan of long nails on anyone.

19. Feb 1, 2009 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Mine are usually worn down by the amount of head scratching i do, besides that i keep them short to stop oil and greaes building up under them ,and besides that a guy would have to be a pansy to worry about his finger nail shape.

20. Feb 1, 2009 #19

Astronuc

Round seems more practical since it conforms to the contour of the finger tip. Personally, I find the corner of fingernails irritating, so I keep mine trimmed round.

Otherwise I have no strong feelings on whether or not a woman has round or square, long or short fingernails - although I don't understand why painting or polishing fingernails is such a big deal. I think the general population puts way too much emphasis cosmetics and perfumes. For me make up (cosmetics) do not make a person more attractive or sexy, but rather just looks silly and unnecessary. I think people should focus on developing the inner person, and not surface appearance.

21. Feb 1, 2009 #20

Mk

I guess that's why they call it "make up" (made up).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?