Style of Studying Letting Me Down. .

• Studying
  • Thread starter Edin_Dzeko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the conversation is about the struggle to understand biology and chemistry concepts without relying too much on memorization. The individual is seeking advice on whether or not to focus on vocabulary words and memorization in order to better understand the material. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding facts in order to build a deeper understanding of the subject. The individual expresses their determination to continue studying and hopes to gain a better understanding before school starts.
Edin_Dzeko
How I study right now:

[Biology]:
I'm trying to understand the concepts so I've been trying really hard to avoid memorization at all costs. But I'm struggling. I spend hours reading it but I don't really understand it that well. I've been stuck on evolution and natural selection. Not sure if it's the language of the text or not. I'm not really getting it.

[Chemistry]:
I understand that it's math based and adequately practicing math problems are to my own advantage. But as said above, I am trying to learn the concepts so I'm not trying to do all math, math without understanding. I spend hours but I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

What should I do? For the Bio, do you think it will be helpful if I first learned vocabulary words then tackled the chapter(s)? What about the Chemistry?

I'm really worried because when school opens, if I keep studying at this rate, I'm scared about not being able to keep up. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think you shouldn't actively try and avoid memorization, but rather pursue it. Just not in a way that you only focus on memorizing facts, but so that you also understand connections between them. You need to know facts, so that you can then build you understanding on it. And if just focusing on concepts isn't enough to internalize those facts, then you just need some rote memorization to build the foundations that will then later on help you in being able to connect facts into larger structures. Don't be scared of memorization, as even in maths you need to know definitions in order to be creative, prove theorems etc.

You can't understand things without first knowing the facts, while on the other hand just knowing the facts doesn't necessarily lead to a deeper understanding of the material.

I don't really get what you mean by vocabulary words, though.

Ryker said:
Well, I think you shouldn't actively try and avoid memorization, but rather pursue it. Just not in a way that you only focus on memorizing facts, but so that you also understand connections between them. You need to know facts, so that you can then build you understanding on it. And if just focusing on concepts isn't enough to internalize those facts, then you just need some rote memorization to build the foundations that will then later on help you in being able to connect facts into larger structures. Don't be scared of memorization, as even in maths you need to know definitions in order to be creative, prove theorems etc.

You can't understand things without first knowing the facts, while on the other hand just knowing the facts doesn't necessarily lead to a deeper understanding of the material.

I don't really get what you mean by vocabulary words, though.

Alright thanks. I'll try that out and see how it goes.

These are the reasons I HATE chemistry and biology (biology more than chemistry)

@ iRaid: Lol. When school begins in the fall, it will be my third attempt at trying to pass Chemistry.

After these 2 weeks I don't even think I've hit the surface of evolution / natural selection yet. I really don't understand it well. They say the best way to tell if you really understand something is if you can re-teach it to somebody. Right now, I couldn't teach anyone anything about this despite how many hours I've been pouring into this for some weeks now. I'm reading INTRO TO EVOLUTION articles online before I go back to the textbook. Made me question my intelligence early on, but now I've come to accept that everyone learns differently and at their own pace. I've never really had to bust my brains to focus and study so this whole sitting down studying thing is new to me. I'm just breaking into the habit and I really feel like after this, the next subjects will be much easier and flow faster.

So I'm not giving up though. I really hope to understand before school starts. But I feel like considering that I'm trying to teach it to m

1. What is the "Style of Studying Letting Me Down"?

The "Style of Studying Letting Me Down" refers to a specific approach or method of studying that is not yielding positive or desired results. It could be a particular technique, environment, or mindset that is hindering the individual's ability to effectively learn and retain information.

2. How can I identify if my studying style is letting me down?

There are a few signs that may indicate your studying style is not working for you. These include consistently poor grades or test scores, feeling overwhelmed or stressed while studying, and struggling to remember information even after studying for long periods of time. It is important to pay attention to these signs and reflect on your study habits to determine if a change is needed.

3. Can changing my studying style improve my academic performance?

Yes, changing your studying style can definitely improve your academic performance. Everyone has a unique way of learning and retaining information, so finding a studying style that works best for you is crucial. Experimenting with different techniques, such as flashcards, practice quizzes, or group studying, can help you find a more effective and efficient way of studying.

4. Are there any common studying styles that tend to let people down?

Yes, there are a few studying styles that may not be as effective for some individuals. These include cramming, which involves trying to learn large amounts of information in a short period of time, and passive studying, where one simply reads or highlights information without actively engaging with it. These styles may work for some people, but they are generally not as effective as other methods.

5. How can I improve my studying style?

The best way to improve your studying style is to first identify what is not working for you. Reflect on your current study habits and try to pinpoint areas that may be hindering your learning. Then, experiment with different techniques and strategies to find what works best for you. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or academic advisor for personalized tips and advice.