Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Styrofoam bearing capability

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    Dear All,
    I have few questions:-
    Is styrofoam useful to bare heavy material weight?
    Is it light weight material?
    Waiting for reply.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Hi. I'm surprised that nobody has answered this yet. I was going to yesterday when I first read it, but waited because I figured that one of the experts would respond.
    Styrofoam (with upper-case 'S') is a brand name for a particular type of polystyrene. In general, it has a low density (weight is a function of gravity), but there are different forms of it. The same stuff that makes semi-rigid insulation panels also makes disposable coffee cups and 'peanuts' for packing fragile equipment... and none of those have the same consistency.
    The load-bearing capacity comes more from the engineering specifics of the structure than from the material itself. You could easily make a pyramid out of used cups that would support a person, or use beams made of the denser insulation material to build a truss system to support the same load with less volume of plastic.
    A lot of things from aeroplanes to movie models are made from a polystyrene core covered with something like Fiberglas (also a brand name) or carbon fibre. It gives a very light-weight structure without compromising strength.
    That's the best that I can do for you; it's not an area that I have much knowledge about.

4. Mar 8, 2008 #3
    You simply rock!
    Thanks 4 valuable inputs.

5. Mar 8, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You're totally welcome, but bear in mind that it's only a 'quick and dirty' answer. There are structural engineers and chemists here who can help you far more. You'll get better responses before too long.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?