SU(2) Invariant Lagrangian

Consider two arbitrary scalar multiplets ##\Phi## and ##\Psi## invariant under ##SU(2)\times U(1)##. When writing the potential for this model, in addition to the usual terms like ##\Phi^\dagger \Phi + (\Phi^\dagger \Phi)^2##, I often see in the literature, less usual terms like:
$$\Phi^\dagger T^a \Phi \ \Psi^\dagger t^a \Psi $$
where ##T^a## and ##t^a## are SU(2) generators in different representations.
See for an example eqn (4) in this paper

I am wondering why the above term is invariant under an SU(2) transformation?

Any helps or comments would be appreciated.

Answers and Replies

PS: I was told that after a transformation of the form ##\Phi \to U \Phi## and similarly ##\Psi \to u \Psi##, we get:
$$\Phi ^\dagger T^a \Phi \to \Phi ^\dagger U^{-1} T^a U \Phi = ad(U)_b^a \ \Phi ^\dagger T^b \Phi$$
and similarly, for the term involving ##\Psi##. where ##ad(U)## is the adjoint representation of SU(2).

But I cannot work out how to eliminate the adjoint representations in the above expression to get back to the original term in the Lagrangian.

samalkhaiat
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Consider two arbitrary scalar multiplets ##\Phi## and ##\Psi## invariant under ##SU(2)\times U(1)##. When writing the potential for this model, in addition to the usual terms like ##\Phi^\dagger \Phi + (\Phi^\dagger \Phi)^2##, I often see in the literature, less usual terms like:
$$\Phi^\dagger T^a \Phi \ \Psi^\dagger t^a \Psi $$
where ##T^a## and ##t^a## are SU(2) generators in different representations.
This is the scalar product of the two adjoint vectors

[tex]V_{a} \equiv \Psi^{\dagger}T_{a}\Psi, \ \ \mbox{and} \ \ v_{a} \equiv \psi^{\dagger}t_{a}\psi[/tex]

Now, if [tex]\Psi \to U(\alpha) \Psi = e^{-i\alpha^{a}T_{a}}\Psi,[/tex][tex]\psi \to u(\alpha)\psi = e^{-i\alpha^{a}t_{a}}\psi,[/tex] then [tex]V_{a}v_{a} \to \Psi^{\dagger} \left( U^{-1}T_{a}U \right)\Psi \ \psi^{\dagger}\left( u^{-1}t_{a}u\right) \psi.[/tex] Now, if you expand [itex]U^{-1}, U, u^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]u[/itex] and use the algebra, you find [tex]U^{-1}(\alpha)T_{a}U(\alpha) = D_{ab}(\alpha)T_{b},[/tex][tex]u^{-1}(\alpha)t_{a}u(\alpha) = D_{ac}(\alpha)t_{c},[/tex] where [tex]D_{bc}(\alpha) = \left( e^{-i\alpha^{a}J_{a}}\right)_{bc} = D_{cb}(- \alpha),[/tex] and [tex](J_{a})_{bc} = - i \epsilon_{abc}.[/tex] So, if you substitute these, you find [tex]V_{a}v_{a} \to D_{ab}(\alpha)D_{ac}(\alpha)V_{b}v_{c} = \left( D(- \alpha)D(\alpha)\right)_{bc} V_{b}v_{c} = \delta_{bc}V_{b}v_{c} = V_{c}v_{c}.[/tex]

Likes odietrich and Ramtin123