1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SU(3) question

1. Dec 22, 2007 #1
    Hi I am teaching myself lie algebras from a freely available book, can anyone familiar with the subject help me with a simple question.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is problem #2 of chapter 2 of the book Semi-Simple Lie Algebras and their Representations by Robert Cahn, the book is freely available at http://www-physics.lbl.gov/~rncahn/book.html.

It is basically an identity involving the sum of products of entries of Gell-Mann matrices:

[tex]\sum_{i} \lambda^{i}_{ab} \lambda^{i}_{cd} = - 1/3 \sum_{i} \lambda^{i}_{ad} \lambda^{i}_{cb} + \frac{16}{9} \delta_{ad}\delta_{cb} [/tex]
    , my question is that is there any way to prove it other than brute force? If not how did anyone figure out to single out this identity?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Simple brute force calculation can be done.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?