SU(3) vs Directional Invariance

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that group theory and SU(3) may be similar to the principle of directional invariance, which is based on the concept of a one-dimensional cube with eight properties. The speaker is seeking clarification on this concept and someone to shed light on the relationship between groups and SU(3). They also mention superstring theory and its connection to compact dimensions. However, it is clarified that superstring theory does not involve complex shapes in lower dimensions, but rather the need for higher dimensions in its dynamics.
Antonio Lao
The more I read about group theory and SU(3), the stronger is my suspicion that they are very similar to the principle of directional invariance, which is based on the ideas of describing a dynamic one-dimensional cube and its eight properties.

Maybe I am wrong and too engross in my own ideas of imagining a similarity that I seeing the forest from the trees. If there is someone who can shed light on groups and SU(3), I am willing to listen. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Antonio Lao
The more I read about group theory and SU(3), the stronger is my suspicion that they are very similar to the principle of directional invariance, which is based on the ideas of describing a dynamic one-dimensional cube and its eight properties.

Maybe I am wrong and too engross in my own ideas of imagining a similarity that I seeing the forest from the trees. If there is someone who can shed light on groups and SU(3), I am willing to listen. Thanks.

What do you mean by a "One dimensional cube"?

Originally posted by Antonio Lao

Quote:dynamic one-dimensional cube and its eight properties.

Surely you mean a 'Planck Cube'?

1-dim cube

The volume of an n-cube width half-side length 1 is

[tex]V=2^n[/tex]

When n=1 dimension, V=2. But the properties of a cube:
(1) having eight vertices
(2) having six sides
Should still be implied in the 1-cube.

No. The 1-dimensional cube is a line segement with 2 vertices and one edge and no faces.

The general formulas for hypercubes are found at this Mathworld site

Superstring did it?

From my understanding of superstring, it's exactly how the theorists did it. They look very closely at the 1-dim string and found that many dimensions are here compactified. They even have a name for this multi-dim object. It's called a Calabi-Yau shape.

Using abstract math, we can say that a 3-cube can be transform into a 1-cube with 11 edges, 6 vertices, and 6 faces being all compacted but the properties for the "cube" are invariants. Otherwise we can call the transformed object any other name like 1-sphere or 1-tetrahedron or 1-octahedron or 1-dodecahedron, etc. All these other object do satify the Euler polyhedral formula:

V+F-E=2

V is number of vertices, f is number of faces, and E is the number of edges. This formula gives the distinction and the properties for the different objects. That is why they have their different name. It doesn't matter at what dimension we are looking, their properties are invariants.

Last edited:
No, you have misunderstood the logic of string theory. They did not find complex shapes in lower dimensions, they found that higher dimensions were necessary to their dynamics. One dimension is just a line.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is the difference between SU(3) and Directional Invariance?

SU(3) and Directional Invariance are both mathematical concepts related to symmetry, but they describe different types of symmetries. SU(3) is a type of symmetry that is commonly used in particle physics, while Directional Invariance is a type of symmetry that is commonly used in fluid dynamics.

2. How are SU(3) and Directional Invariance related?

SU(3) and Directional Invariance are both types of symmetries that are based on continuous transformations. This means that they both describe how an object or system remains unchanged under certain transformations. However, the specific transformations and applications of these symmetries are different.

3. What is the significance of SU(3) in particle physics?

In particle physics, SU(3) is used to describe the strong force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It is a gauge symmetry that describes the interactions between quarks, which are the building blocks of protons and neutrons. SU(3) symmetry is important because it helps to explain the behavior and properties of subatomic particles.

4. How is Directional Invariance used in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, Directional Invariance is used to describe the symmetries of a fluid flow. It is a type of symmetry that describes how the properties of a fluid, such as pressure and velocity, remain unchanged when the flow is transformed in a certain way. This symmetry is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in various situations.

5. Are there other applications of SU(3) and Directional Invariance?

Yes, both SU(3) and Directional Invariance have applications in various fields of physics and mathematics. SU(3) symmetry is also used to describe the weak force in particle physics, while Directional Invariance has applications in areas such as electromagnetics and elasticity. These symmetries are fundamental concepts that have wide-ranging applications in different branches of science.