SU(5) Grand Unification: Exploring Higgs Scalars and Fermion Representations

• A
  • Thread starter Safinaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unification
In summary, SU(5) Grand Unification is a theoretical framework in particle physics that aims to unify the fundamental forces of nature. It involves exploring the properties of Higgs scalars and fermion representations, which are fundamental particles that play a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics. By studying the interactions between these particles, scientists hope to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the universe. SU(5) Grand Unification has been a topic of extensive research and holds the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe.
Safinaz
Hi there,

My question about grand unification based on SU(5) symmetry group ..

I read in some papers, like that
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0803.4156v2.pdf

The Higgs scalars grand representation are only 5, 24, 45, and 15, while the fermions grand representations are only 5, 10 , and 24..

I wonder why there is no for instance 15 representation for fermions ? do anyone has an idea ..

best

Safinaz said:
I wonder why there is no for instance 15 representation for fermions ? do anyone has an idea ..

If I recall well, it has to do with the chirality of the SM and how it's embedded within SU(5)?
http://arxiv.org/abs/1504.03695
check the discussion in 2.2 for example and how the 15 (and 35) is killed as a candidate.
I hope it helps... although I don't understand why you'd use the 24 repr for the fermions; are they majorana?

Thanx for the replies.

1. What is SU(5) grand unification?

SU(5) grand unification is a theoretical framework in particle physics that attempts to unify the three fundamental forces of nature (electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force) into a single force. It proposes that at extremely high energies, these three forces are actually different manifestations of a single, unified force.

2. Who proposed the theory of SU(5) grand unification?

The theory of SU(5) grand unification was first proposed by physicists Howard Georgi and Sheldon Glashow in the 1970s.

3. How does SU(5) grand unification explain the properties of particles?

SU(5) grand unification predicts that all particles in the universe are made up of smaller, more fundamental particles called quarks and leptons. These particles are organized into three generations and interact through the exchange of gauge bosons, which are carriers of the unified force. This theory also predicts the existence of new particles such as the X and Y bosons.

4. What evidence supports the theory of SU(5) grand unification?

One of the main pieces of evidence supporting SU(5) grand unification is the observation of the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force having similar strengths at high energies. This is consistent with the idea that they were once part of a single, unified force. Additionally, the theory accurately predicts the existence of new particles that have been discovered in experiments, such as the W and Z bosons.

5. Has SU(5) grand unification been proven?

No, SU(5) grand unification is still a theoretical framework and has not been definitively proven. However, many of its predictions have been tested and found to be in agreement with experimental observations. Further research and experiments are needed to fully confirm or disprove this theory.