1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subbasis and Finer Topologies

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If two different topologies on a given space ##X## are given by a basis, then we have the following criteria for determining which topology is finer:

Let ##\mathcal{B}## and ##\mathcal{B}'## be bases for the for topologies ##\tau## and ##\tau'##, respectively, on ##X##. Then the following are equivalent:

(1) ##\tau \subseteq \tau'##

(2) For each ##x \in X## and each basis element ##B \in \mathcal{B}##, there is a basis element ##B' \in \mathcal{B}'## such that ##x \in B' \subseteq B##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am wondering, do we have a similar criteria if the two topologies are given by a subbasis ##\mathcal{S}## and ##\mathcal{S}'##? My motivation for asking this question is that I am trying to show that ##\{Y \cap S ~|~ S \in S \}## forms a subbasis for the subspace topology on ##Y \subseteq X##, and I thought that it might help me in proving this.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean by subbasis ##\mathcal{S}## a basis of the from ##(X,\mathcal{B})## induced topology of ##Y##?

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3
    Here is the definition of subbasis with which I am working:

A subbasis ##\mathcal{S}## for a topology on ##X## is a collection of subsets of ##X## whose union equals ##X##. The topology generated by the subbasis ##\mathcal{S}## is defined to be the collection ##\tau## of all unions of finite intersections of elements in ##\mathcal{S}##.

5. Dec 6, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I can't see any problems. The topology generated by the sets of ##\mathcal{S}## is the least finest topology which contains these sets. Refinements thus should be possible to define analogously if everything is done with rigor. (But as topology is notoriously strange, I would be delighted to learn something new.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted