What causes subconjunctival hemorrhages and do they require treatment?

• Medical
  • Thread starter S_Happens
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a broken blood vessel in the eye that was noticed after getting out of the shower. The person is surprised to find it since they haven't been experiencing any allergy symptoms. They are wondering if they should come up with a better story for how it happened and mention that the redness has already faded.
S_Happens
Gold Member
Not a big deal, simply a broken blood vessel in my eye. It's only a spot compared to others that I've seen. I just noticed it last night when I got out of the shower.

Even though ragweed is picking up, I hadn't hardly sneezed or blown my nose all day so it was surprising to find it. This is the first one that I can remember having. I know there's no cause for concern, I'm just wondering if I need to come up with a better story than "yeah, I got out of the shower and there it was." Maybe scalding hot water, attack shower ferrets, I dunno...

I should have taken a pic last night. It's already lost some of it's bright red luster.

Biology news on Phys.org
just tell people you got sick from too much alcohol and puked your guts out.

I can assure you that subconjunctival hemorrhages are a common and usually harmless occurrence. It is simply a broken blood vessel in the eye, typically caused by minor trauma or strain. While it may look alarming, it is not a cause for concern and will typically resolve on its own within a week or two.

It is not uncommon for people to notice subconjunctival hemorrhages after activities such as sneezing or coughing, which can increase pressure in the blood vessels. It is also possible for them to occur spontaneously, as in your case. As for needing a better story, there is no need to fabricate one. Simply explaining the cause as being a result of increased pressure in the blood vessels is a perfectly valid explanation.

In terms of treatment, there is no specific action needed as the hemorrhage will heal on its own. However, if you experience any pain or vision changes, it is always best to consult with an eye doctor. Otherwise, there is no need to worry about this common and minor occurrence.

What is a subconjunctival hemorrhage?

A subconjunctival hemorrhage is a condition where there is bleeding under the conjunctiva, which is the clear layer that covers the white part of the eye. The conjunctiva contains many blood vessels, so when one of them breaks, it can cause a bright red spot to appear on the eye.

What causes a subconjunctival hemorrhage?

The most common cause of a subconjunctival hemorrhage is a sudden increase in blood pressure, such as from coughing, sneezing, or straining. Other causes can include eye trauma, certain medications, and blood disorders.

Is a subconjunctival hemorrhage dangerous?

In most cases, a subconjunctival hemorrhage is harmless and does not cause any damage to the eye. It may be slightly uncomfortable or itchy, but it should not affect vision or require any treatment. However, if you experience any other eye symptoms or have a history of bleeding disorders, it is best to consult a doctor.

How long does a subconjunctival hemorrhage last?

A subconjunctival hemorrhage typically resolves on its own within 1-2 weeks. The blood will gradually be reabsorbed by the body and the red spot will fade. If it persists for longer than 2 weeks or is accompanied by other symptoms, it is best to seek medical attention.

Can a subconjunctival hemorrhage be prevented?

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent a subconjunctival hemorrhage from occurring. However, to reduce the risk, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, including managing blood pressure and avoiding eye trauma. If you are on blood-thinning medications, it is important to follow your doctor's instructions and avoid activities that may increase pressure in the eye.