1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subfield proof

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

attachment.php?attachmentid=63040&stc=1&d=1382007608.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well thankfully I just have to present closure under mult. inverses and closure under addition. But I seem to be going in circles...if a is in G, then we need to show that a-1 is also in G.

So a*a-1 = 1F, but is a-1 in G...so we can write a = ap, then if we can write a-1 = (ap)-1, then we'll be good. But how the heck do I do that?

For closure under addition, I'm not really sure how to use the binomial theorem here, since we know that a + b means we can write them both as ap + bp, and now we've got to show that ap + bp can be written as (α + β)p. Not sure how to get this one started either.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure why you are stumbling around with the multiplicative proof. If a=a^p then a^(-1)=(a^p)^(-1). But that's the same thing as (a^(-1))^p isn't it? And for addition, you use the binomial theorem to prove that (a+b)^p=a^p+b^p in F. This is where the field having characteristic p is really important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted