1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subfield question

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

proof that Q(sqrt(2)) is a subfield of R

2. Relevant equations
    Q= rational numers, R= real numbers.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Clearly (sqrt(2)) is a subgroup of R. Then a[sqrt2]. b[sqrt2] are elements of Q[sqrt2] if a and b are eleemnts of Q. Therefore Q[sqrt2] contains at least two elements.
    2. a[sqrtb]-b[sqrt2] is an element of Q[sqrt2] since a-b is an element of Q since Q is closed under subtraction.
    From there I have to prove that a[sqrt2]*[b[sqret2]^-1] are elements of Q[sqrt2] but i don't know how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2
    It looks like you have a mistake in the definitions...

What is the definition of Q[sqrt(2)]?

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    This could depend a lot on what you're studying right now, and what you are/aren't allowed to use. But I'd just note that Q is a subfield of R, and sqrt(2) is in R, and look at the definition of Q(sqrt(2)).

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4
    Q is defined as a+b(sqrt2). So subtraction is obviosly preserved, but I have no idea what to do with the inverses

6. Mar 10, 2010 #5
    All right. Do you remember how to divide complex numbers? The same trick can be applied here to find the inverses in [tex] \mathbb{Q}[\sqrt2] [/tex].

Just note that
    [tex] a^2 - 2b^2 \neq 0 [/tex]
    whenever [tex]a, b \in \mathbb{Q} [/tex] unless [tex]a = b = 0[/tex].

7. Mar 10, 2010 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try solving a linear equation!

Wait a moment -- what do you need to do with inverses? Why do they need to be considered specially at all?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook