1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subgroups of a p-group

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    Problem
    Suppose for all subgroups [tex]H,K[/tex] of a finite group [tex]G[/tex], either [tex]H \subset K[/tex] or [tex]K \subset H[/tex]. Show that [tex]G[/tex] is cyclic and its order is the power of a prime.

Attempt
    I think I get the intuition: if [tex]H[/tex] and [tex]K[/tex] are not the same, then one of them must be the trivial subgroup and the other must be [tex]G[/tex] itself. So if [tex]g \in G[/tex] but [tex]g \notin H[/tex], then [tex]\left\langle g \right \rangle[/tex] is a subgroup containing [tex]g[/tex], so by hypothesis, [tex]H \subset \left\langle g \right \rangle[/tex]. From here I want to show that [tex]H[/tex] is actually the trivial subgroup. No idea yet about the power of a prime thing. Can anyone provide a hint? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your intuition is not quite correct. Suppose H is a proper subgroup of G. Consider the subgroups H_g=gHg^(-1) for g in G. What's the containment relation between H and H_g? What kind of a subgroup is H? This should be enough of a hint to get you started. For the prime thing, if p and q are prime factors of G, then we know there are subgroups Hp and Hq of order p and q respectively. What is their containment relation?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  4. Aug 8, 2007 #3
    There is a minor mistake. You should have said, [tex]G[/tex] is a non-trivial group.
    -----
    My Own Question: If the same conditions apply for an INFINITE group G, does the it mean it is cyclic? (Possibly Zorn's Lemma).
    -----
    Here is the answer to your question.
    Say [tex]p\not = q[/tex] are two primes dividing [tex]G[/tex]. By Cauchy's theorem there are subgroups [tex]H \mbox{ and }K[/tex] respectively so that [tex]|H|=p \mbox{ and }|K|=q[/tex]. But how can (without lose of generality) [tex]H\subseteq K[/tex] since all its non-identity elements are of order [tex]p[/tex] while all the non-identity elements of [tex]K[/tex] are of order [tex]q[/tex]. A contradiction. Hence two distint primes do not divide [tex]G[/tex]. And so [tex]|G|=p^n[/tex]. Now we show that [tex]G\simeq \mathbb{Z}_{p^n}[/tex]. Assume that [tex]G[/tex] is not cyclic. Let [tex]a\not = e[/tex] be any element, then [tex]\left< a \right>[/tex] does not exhaust [tex]G[/tex] by assumption. So choose [tex]b\in G \mbox{ with }b\not \in \left< a \right> [/tex] and construct [tex]\left< b \right>[/tex]. But hypothesis [tex]\left< a \right> \subseteq \left< b\right> \mbox{ or }\left< b \right> \subseteq \left< a\right>[/tex]. But that is a contradiction. Q.E.D.

5. Aug 8, 2007 #4
    I made a mistake in my other post when I said [tex]\left< a \right> \subseteq \left< b\right> \mbox{ or }\left< b \right> \subseteq \left< a\right>[/tex] is a contradiction. It is not. It however means that [tex]\left< a\right> \subseteq \left< b \right>[/tex] since [tex]b\not \in \left< a \right> \implies \left< b\right> \not \subseteq \left< a\right>[/tex]. Thus, [tex]\left< a\right> \subset \left< b \right> [/tex]. So we can choose [tex]c\in G \not \in \left< b \right>[/tex] to get [tex]\left< a\right> \subset \left< b \right> \subset \left< c\right>[/tex]. Thus, continuing this we can an ascending chain condition of subgroups properly contained in another. Since [tex]G[/tex] is finite it means this chain must terminate and hence there is an element which generates the full group.
    Q.E.D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?