1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subgroups-Stuck on a question

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1

Here's the question:

Prove that a nonempty subset H of a group G is a subgroup if for all x and y in H, the element xy^(-1) is also in H.

We have a theorem that says if G is a group and H is a nonempty subset of G, then H is a subgroup of G iff:
    (1) H is closed
    (2) if h is in H, then the inverse of h in G lies in H.

I know I need to use this theorem, and I have two ideas about how to go about it:
    First, I think if I can prove y^(-1) is in H, then the two parts of the theorem follow from that. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do this.
    My second thought is to prove the two parts separately. If I do this, my proof for closure is:
    Assume xy is not in H. Then x is not in H or y is not in H. But this is a contradiction, so xy must be in H. Then closure is satisfied.
    After this, though, I get stuck again when I try to prove part (2) about the inverse.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If for all x and y in H, xy-1 is also in H, then what happens if x = y? Using that, you will have determined the existence of another special element in H. Using that element and the knowledge that xy-1 is in H for every x, y in H, what more can you prove?

For closure, you want to prove that for all x in H, if y is in H then so is xy. If you have proven that (if y is in H then so is y-1) and you use the given fact (if x and y are in H, so is xy-1) then you can prove that xy is in H because it is true so long as:

x(y-1)-1 is in H which is true using the given assumption if
    x is in H and y-1 is in H. The first is true by assumption, and the second is true because a) y is in H and b) you should have proved inverses are in H.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?