Time Taken for Moving 200m with Constant Speed of 10m/s

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in solving for time (t) using the equation S=ut+1/2at^2 when a=0, as the quadratic formula cannot be used. However, if a≠0, t can be solved for using the quadratic formula. It is also noted that if the discriminant is less than zero, a real value for t cannot be obtained.
adjacent
Gold Member
NOT a home work
A person moves with constant speed of 10m/s(Initially as well as finally). His acceleration is therefore zero.Distance moved is 200meter.Find time taken.I tried to use the equation below but had difficulty making t the subject
S=ut+1/2at2
a=Acceleration
t=time
u=speed
S=Distance moved
If I use the values given I could easily make t the subject
That is 200=10t+1/2*0*t2
Giving 200=10t (t=200/10) that is t=s/u in this case

I can't make t the subject using letters ONLY.There should be a way

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If a man travels for 2 hours at 60 mph, how far does he go? What equation do you need to solve that question?

hi adjacent! :smile:
adjacent said:
S=ut+1/2at2

I can't make t the subject using letters ONLY.There should be a way

if a ≠ 0, this is a quadratic equation, which you can solve with t = -b ± √(b2 - ) etc

if a = 0, it's simply s = ut, so t = s/u :wink:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
if a ≠ 0, this is a quadratic equation, which you can solve with t = -b ± √(b2 - ) etc
if a = 0, it's simply s = ut, so t = s/u :wink:

S=ut+1/2at2
That means t cannot be made the subject of the formula by methods I use with (S=1/2(u+v)t)Etc?
What if S=ut+1/2at2 is given and asked to solve for t?

Last edited:
yes, solve it as a quadratic equation!

adjacent said:
S=ut+1/2at2

What if S=ut+1/2at2 is given and asked to solve for t?
For example no values for a,u,tetc were given.I solve it as a quadratic,If a turn out to be 0 then It would be wrong.Right?Meaning the equation is wrong for non accelerating objects(when for t)but when solved for S it is right even for non accelerating objects.How is it?I need proof

Last edited:
i don't understand :confused:

show us your solution for the quadratic​

tiny-tim said:
i don't understand :confused:

show us your solution for the quadratic​
For example,
a=0
s=200m
u=10m/s
t=20s
I can solve the equation even when a=0,(for s)
S=ut+1/2at2
=10*20+1/2*0*202 =200m:smile:
But for t,
0.5at2+ut-s=0
t=(-b+√(b2-4ac)/2a
t=(-10+√(102-4(0)(-200))/(2*0) = MATH ERROR:confused:
In general If acceleration=0 - cannot solve for t
If acceleration≠0 - can solve for t
If acceleration is either ≠or= -can solve for S
Why?

adjacent said:
In general If acceleration=0 - cannot solve for t
If acceleration≠0 - can solve for t
If acceleration is either ≠or= -can solve for S
Why?

because the quadratic formula (-b ± √etc) does not work for a = 0

tiny-tim said:
because the quadratic formula (-b ± √etc) does not work for a = 0
But if it can be solved for S,There should be some method to solve for t too.(Except t=s/u which is obtained once you know the value of a)
Just Algebra(Only letters)?

adjacent said:
But if it can be solved for S,There should be some method to solve for t too.(Except t=s/u which is obtained once you know the value of a)

tiny-tim answered your question in post #3. There are two cases: a = 0 and a ≠ 0.

If a = 0, then t = s/v.
If a ≠ 0, then you can solve for t by using the quadratic formula.

adjacent said:

A quadratic equation means that a≠0.
##0x^2 + 2x + 4## is not a quadratic.

adjacent said:

I see what you're saying, and the answer to it is that the quadratic expression given by t = ... isn't quite complete because it assumes [itex]a\neq 0[/itex]. What we need is a piecewise function to describe it

If [itex]s = ut + 1/2at^2[/itex]

Then

[tex]t =
\begin{cases}
\frac{-u\pm \sqrt{u^2+2as}}{a}, & a\neq 0 \\
\frac{s}{u}, & a=0
\end{cases}[/tex]

You need to also keep in mind that if the discriminant is less than zero, which is [itex]a\neq 0[/itex] but [itex]u^2+2as<0[/itex] then you won't have a real value for t. Physically, this means that the object won't ever cross the line at displacement s because it would be accelerating away from that direction.

What is the formula for calculating time taken for moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s?

The formula for calculating time taken for moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s is: time = distance/speed. In this case, the distance is 200m and the speed is 10m/s, so the time taken would be 200/10 = 20 seconds.

Why is it important to measure the time taken for moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s?

Measuring the time taken for moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s can provide valuable information about an object's velocity and acceleration. It can also help in understanding the efficiency and performance of machines or vehicles.

What factors can affect the time taken for moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s?

The factors that can affect the time taken for moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s include air resistance, friction, and the weight of the object being moved. Other variables such as altitude and temperature can also play a role.

How can the time taken for moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s be reduced?

The time taken for moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s can be reduced by increasing the speed of the object, reducing air resistance and friction, or by making the object more aerodynamic. It can also be reduced by using more efficient machines or vehicles.

What are some real-life examples of moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s?

Some real-life examples of moving 200m with a constant speed of 10m/s include a car traveling at a constant speed on a highway, an athlete running a 200m race in 20 seconds, or a rollercoaster moving at a constant speed along its track.