1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Submarine fluid physics problem

1. Nov 10, 2003 #1
    Ok, 'A circular window with a 30 cm diameter in a submarine can withstand a maximum force of 5.2x10^5N. What is the maximum depth (in m) in a lake to which the submarine can go without damaging the window round off to the nearest whole number?'

I tried P=F/A=pAhg/A, so I converted 30 cm to meters, solved for P then tried to find h. p=1000, A=pi*.15^2, h=?, g =9.8. So .070 = 9.8h, h=7.21X10^-6. That can't be right because then the submarine wouldn't move at all before the window busted.

Can someone tell me where I went wrong? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Fluids

This is correct. It seems that somehow you later derived the equation A = g h, since you said "0.70 = 9.8 h." I'm not sure at all where got this! You have the right equation -- just solve it for h.

The pressure at a depth of h meters in a fluid is given by

P = [rho] g h

The force on the window is indeed equal to

F = P A or P = F / A

where A is the area of the window.

Equating these, we get

P = F / A
    [rho] g h = F / A

h = F / (A [rho] g)

Does this make sense?

- Warren

4. Nov 10, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm trying to figure out where you got the "0.70" in ".070 = 9.8h"!

You are correct that P=F/A=ρAhg/A or, since it is F we are given rather than P, F= ρAhg.

You are given that F= 5.2x10^5N so that hg=9.8h= 5.2x10^5/(ρA)

The Area is π(.15)2= 0.0708 sq.m so F/A= 7356495. Taking &rho= 1000 gives F/(ρA)= 7356.495= 9.8h so h= 751 meters.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?