Solving Submarine Problem - Alex

• Thread starter Vanity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Submarine
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving using sonar waves to identify a ship's location. The problem provides information about the depth of the submarine, the time it takes for the ping to return, and asks for the direct distance to the ship. The conversation also touches on the speed of sound in water and how temperature and pressure can affect it. Ultimately, the expert suggests looking up the speed of sound at a standard temperature rather than trying to factor in all the complexities of temperature and pressure.
Vanity
Hi,

I need to solve this problem but I have no idea where to start. I made a little drawing with all the informations I have but now I'm stuck. Here's the problem:

A submarine uses sonar waves, to identify other ships, by directing a highly directional acoustic pulse at a target, and computing the time duration between the transmission of the "ping", and the return of the echo. If a sub is a depth of 500m and receives a ping return in 5.6s, determine the direct distance to the ship.

I'm not looking for the answer, just a little hint of what to start with. Thanks a lot !

- alex.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the speed of sound in water? How far must the sound have traveled in 5.6s? (Don't forget that the sound makes a round trip.)

Great ! Thanks. One last question, does the temperature affects anything ? Thanks !

Both pressure and temperature will affect the speed of sound. (But I'll bet you can ignore such complications.)

The problem actually include the temperature, so I guess I need to include it in my formula. I google'd for it but could only find tables. If density of water is 1, what formula should I use ?

Thanks !

Unless this problem is meant to exercise your detailed understanding of the speed of sound in a liquid (the speed depends on the bulk modulus and density, which in turn depend on pressure and temperature), I would just look up the speed of sound (in seawater... salinity counts!) at some standard temperature. That should be good enough.

1. How does Alex's submarine problem relate to real-life scientific and engineering challenges?

Alex's submarine problem is a simplified version of real-life challenges faced by engineers and scientists. The problem involves understanding and manipulating complex systems, making decisions based on limited information and resources, and using problem-solving skills to come up with creative solutions. These are all skills that are necessary in many scientific and engineering fields.

2. What are the specific steps involved in solving Alex's submarine problem?

The specific steps involved in solving the submarine problem may vary depending on the approach, but generally they include defining the problem, gathering information, brainstorming potential solutions, evaluating and selecting the best solution, and implementing and testing the solution. It is also important to continuously evaluate and make adjustments as needed throughout the process.

3. How can Alex's submarine problem be applied to other scenarios or industries?

Alex's submarine problem can be applied to various scenarios and industries, such as transportation, manufacturing, and even healthcare. The problem involves optimizing a system to achieve a desired outcome, which is a fundamental concept in many fields. By understanding the underlying principles and strategies used to solve the problem, they can be applied to different situations and industries.

4. What are some potential challenges or limitations in solving Alex's submarine problem?

Some potential challenges in solving the submarine problem include limited resources, such as time, information, and materials, as well as the complexity and unpredictability of the system. Additionally, different approaches and solutions may have varying levels of effectiveness and trade-offs, requiring careful evaluation and decision-making.

5. How can problem-solving skills be enhanced through solving Alex's submarine problem?

Solving Alex's submarine problem can enhance problem-solving skills by providing a practical and engaging exercise in applying critical thinking, logical reasoning, and creativity. It also allows for the development of resilience and adaptability, as well as the ability to analyze and evaluate potential solutions and make informed decisions. These skills are applicable in various aspects of life and can be further honed through practice and experience.