Submarines For Drug Traffickers

• News
  • Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary, a fully functional submarine built for the primary purpose of transporting massive amounts of cocaine was seized by Ecuadorean authorities with the help of U.S. drug enforcement agents. The investigation into the group and the submarine, which was seized Friday, is ongoing.
nismaratwork
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/07/03/ecuador.drug.submarine/index.html?hpt=C1

I have to say, I was prepared to laugh this off until I got to the part about the twin screws, AC, and the fact that it is not a stolen or re purposed vessel. This is submarine built in the damned jungle for the express purpose of smuggling cocaine. That, is both terrible, and amazing.

Here is the story:

CNN said:
CNN) -- A fully functional submarine built for the primary purpose of transporting massive amounts of cocaine has been seized by Ecuadorean authorities with the help of U.S. drug enforcement agents.

A drug-trafficking organization built the sea-worthy vessel that is now being held near the border of Ecuador and Colombia, and one individual has been taken into custody, authorities said. The investigation into the group and the submarine, which was seized Friday, is ongoing.

"This is the first seizure of a clandestinely constructed fully operational submarine built to facilitate trans-oceanic drug trafficking," the Drug Enforcement Administration said in a statement.

The vessel utilized twin screws and was diesel electric-powered, the agency said. It was about 30 meters (98 feet) long and nearly 3 meters (nine feet) high from the deck plates to the ceiling. It has a periscope and an air-conditioning system.

"Traffickers historically employed slow-moving fishing boats, sail boats, pleasure craft go-fasts," said Jay Bergman, Andean regional director for the agency. "The advent of the narco-submarine presents new detection challenges for maritime interdiction forces. The submarine's nautical range, payload capacity and quantum leap in stealth have raised the stakes for the counter-drug forces and the national security community alike."

The submarine was constructed in a "remote jungle environment in an effort to elude law enforcement or military interdiction," the agency said.

Acting on intelligence, Ecuadorean authorities were able to seize the vessel for before its maiden voyage, the statement said.

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember seeing a NG story on this a year or so ago. Those drug lords sure are crafty. But this is all the more reason on why we need to up border security and the war on drugs.

Have you ever watched how they make cocaine? It is absolutely astonishing that you don't die instantly from your first use (the same can be said for any other drug).

Yawn. Back in the early 90s an Israeli rented out a full blown Russian Submarine and crew and packed the insides of it filled with drugs from central America to the coats of FL.

Cyrus said:
Yawn. Back in the early 90s an Israeli rented out a full blown Russian Submarine and crew and packed the insides of it filled with drugs from central America to the coats of FL.

Yes, but that isn't at all impressive because, as you say, they RENTED IT. I don't think that it's so impressive that submarines exist, and that individuals can own them. I AM impressed that they built this, from "scratch" in the jungle. This isn't a retrofit, this is a bottom-up approach to try and make it untraceable.

KalemMekhar: It is indeed, and even more so with methamphetamine.

nismaratwork said:
Yes, but that isn't at all impressive because, as you say, they RENTED IT. I don't think that it's so impressive that submarines exist, and that individuals can own them. I AM impressed that they built this, from "scratch" in the jungle. This isn't a retrofit, this is a bottom-up approach to try and make it untraceable.

KalemMekhar: It is indeed, and even more so with methamphetamine.

Um, the Israeli dude bought 6 of these helicopters, along with trying to get a Russian sub.

Mi8t-3.jpg

When I say submarine, I don't mean that rinky dinky thing you linked to, I mean this:

http://visualrian.com/storage/PreviewWM/1875/22/187522.jpg

Ahh the MI-8T. Russian helos are an interest of mine. Any link to the story about the Israeli? I'd like to read it.

1. How do submarines benefit drug traffickers?

Submarines provide drug traffickers with a covert means of transportation for their illegal goods. They can travel undetected underwater for long distances, making it harder for authorities to track them.

2. How are these submarines built?

Submarines used for drug trafficking are typically built by specialized teams with knowledge of submarine construction. They are often built in remote locations to avoid detection.

3. What measures are being taken to stop the use of submarines for drug trafficking?

Law enforcement agencies use a variety of methods to combat the use of submarines for drug trafficking, including increased surveillance and cooperation with other countries. There are also efforts to disrupt the supply chain of materials used to build these submarines.

4. How do these submarines avoid detection?

These submarines are designed to be stealthy and can operate at very low depths, making them difficult to detect by radar or sonar. They may also use advanced technology to evade detection, such as acoustic and thermal camouflage.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with submarines used for drug trafficking?

Yes, there are significant safety concerns for both the operators of these submarines and the surrounding marine environment. These submarines are often built with subpar materials and lack proper safety features, putting the operators at risk. Additionally, the release of fuel and other chemicals from these submarines can harm marine life and damage the ecosystem.