Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Submerged Tank

1. Jan 1, 2017 #1
    Dear People

I am busy with a tank that is submerged in water. The tank is mounted against concrete wall isolating the water. The tank is pressed against the wall due to the water pressure. When the tank is installed the water can be pumped away.

The material used for the tank is stainless steel. The pressure acting on the tank wall I used the statics pressure part of Bernoulli equation. Knowing the pressure is also known the distributed force over the tank wall. I assumed that the plate can be approached as a small beam.

I made two load cases:
    • Loadcase1: is based over the length of the tank in the lower section of the wall (where the load is at its highest point, disturbed load rectangular)
    • Loadcase2: Is based on the height of the tank. ( due to Bernoulli a Triangular load.).

I calculated the reaction force in both cases and also the maximum bending moment in the plate. I used the maximum bending moment to determine my dimension of my profile to support the tank.

My question is am I allowed to calculate the tank like this and if I am not allowed to use this method what method should I use to calculate a case like this? I am allowed to approached sheet metal as a small beam?

I added my calculation and drawing in the attachment.

Thanking you in Advance

Gunter.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2017 #2
    This is all pretty fuzzy because you have not provided the proper free body diagrams (FBDs). Even so, I see a few comments that can be made, in somewhat random order:
    1. It is not at all clear where your P1 = 0.196 bar comes from.
    2. You do not make clear what the direction of increasing y is in your figure. It appears that you intend to take this downward, but that is not entirely obvious.
    3. You say Fwall = 49.033 k, but what is k? What units do you attach to this value?
    4. I completely fail to see the relevance of the second calc, the simply supported beam with a triangular load. In your original problem statement, where do you see anything that looks like simple supports?
    5. You also ask in the discussion if you are allowed to approach sheet metal as a small beam. Why would you expect that to be true? You have wide sheet metal expanses, much wider than the beam depth, so at the very least, this would require a plate bending analysis.
    6. You don't say what this is for, or really what you need to determine. Please try again, at least with a statement of what you want to find.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted