Counterexample for Subring and Units Statement

• Thread starter erogard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the statement "If S is a subring of a commutative ring R, then U(S) = U(R) \cap S" is being tested for a counterexample, but none have been found yet. The units of a ring X are all elements with an inverse in X, giving 1 when multiplied by their inverse. The statement holds for integers, quotient groups, and complex numbers, and it is suggested to try the rationals, Q. The units of Q would be all non-zero elements, including Z without 0. Then, U(Z) = U(Q) intersection Z, which gives Z without 0. However, U(Z) is only +1 and -1, which proves that this
erogard
Hi, I am trying to find a counterexample to disprove this statement, but can't find any:

If S is a subring of a commutative ring R, then [tex] U(S) = U(R) \cap S[/tex]

Note that U(X) denotes the set of all the units of a ring X, where x is a unit if x has an inverse in X, such that x times its inverse gives 1, the multiplicative identity.

I've tried with integers, quotient groups of integers, complex numbers, etc. but the statement holds for all the cases I've considered.

Any suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the rationals, Q? What are the units?

Dick said:
Have you tried the rationals, Q? What are the units?

So U(Q) would be all non zero element, including Z without 0.

Then U(Z) = U(Q) intersection Z, which gives Z without 0. But we know that U(Z) = +1 and -1. I think that works!

erogard said:
So U(Q) would be all non zero element, including Z without 0.

Then U(Z) = U(Q) intersection Z, which gives Z without 0. But we know that U(Z) = +1 and -1. I think that works!

I KNOW it works.

1. What is a counterexample for the Subring and Units Statement?

A counterexample for the Subring and Units Statement is a specific example that shows the statement to be false. In this case, it would be an example of a subring that does not contain any units (invertible elements).

2. Why is a counterexample important in mathematics?

A counterexample is important in mathematics because it allows us to better understand and refine mathematical statements and theories. It helps to identify potential errors or limitations in a statement and can lead to the development of stronger and more accurate theories.

3. Can a subring contain units?

Yes, a subring can contain units. However, the Subring and Units Statement states that not all subrings contain units, and a counterexample would show this to be false.

4. How can a counterexample be used to disprove a statement?

A counterexample can be used to disprove a statement by providing a specific example that contradicts the statement. If the statement is proven to be false in this example, it is no longer considered a valid and universal statement.

5. Are counterexamples only used to disprove statements?

No, counterexamples can also be used to prove statements. For example, if a statement is believed to be true but has not yet been proven, providing a counterexample can help to support the statement and demonstrate its validity.