Proving R is a Subring of M2(Z)

• Thread starter runescape09
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is discussing whether or not the set R, defined as the set of matrices consisting of two rows with elements from the set of integers, is a subring of M2(Z). The question of whether R has an identity is brought up, with the possibility that it may be the same identity as M2(Z). The conversation then moves on to discussing the requirements for a set to be considered a ring, and the crucial questions that need to be answered in order to prove that R is a ring. The subring test is also mentioned as a potential way to prove that R is a ring.
runescape09
Let R = { martrix [a a (in the first row) b b (in the second row) | a,b∈Z }. Prove or disprove that R is a subring of M2(Z).

I've already know how to prove that R is the subring. But how do i show that their is an identity?

Physics news on Phys.org
if there IS an identity, wouldn't it have to be the same identity as M2(Z) has?

(note: some people require a ring to have identity, some people don't. by "identity" i mean multiplicative identity, as every ring MUST have a 0).

Deveno said:
if there IS an identity, wouldn't it have to be the same identity as M2(Z) has?

(note: some people require a ring to have identity, some people don't. by "identity" i mean multiplicative identity, as every ring MUST have a 0).

Okay, how do i know that the r is a ring?

is (R,+) closed under matrix addition? if A is in R, is -A in R? is R closed under matrix multiplication? these are the crucial questions.

Deveno said:
is (R,+) closed under matrix addition? if A is in R, is -A in R? is R closed under matrix multiplication? these are the crucial questions.

isn't that proven by the subring test though?

1. What is a subring?

A subring is a subset of a larger ring that is itself a ring with the same operations and identity element as the larger ring.

2. How do you prove that R is a subring of M2(Z)?

To prove that R is a subring of M2(Z), we must show that R satisfies the three conditions for a subring: closure under addition and multiplication, and containing the identity element. This can be done by showing that any element in R can be added, multiplied, and has an inverse within R, and that the identity element of M2(Z) is also in R.

3. Can you give an example of a subring of M2(Z)?

One example of a subring of M2(Z) is the set of all 2x2 matrices with entries that are multiples of 3. This subset is closed under addition and multiplication, and contains the identity element of M2(Z).

4. What are the practical applications of proving that R is a subring of M2(Z)?

Proving that R is a subring of M2(Z) can be useful in fields such as abstract algebra, number theory, and cryptography. It allows us to study properties of R as a subset of a larger ring, and to use theorems and techniques from the larger ring on R.

5. What happens if R does not meet the requirements to be a subring of M2(Z)?

If R does not meet the requirements to be a subring of M2(Z), then it is not considered a subring. This means that it may not have the same operations and identity element as the larger ring, and thus cannot be studied using theorems and techniques from the larger ring.