Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX Subscript on the left

1. Jun 20, 2017 #1

julian

Gold Member

I am working with a "ket" ##|0>_{loc}##, and I want to display the corresponding "bra" where the subscript ##loc## appears on the left side. The best I can do is this \;_{loc} <0| but this isn't satisfactory: ##\;_{loc} <0|##.

Is there a specific command for putting the subscript on the left?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

How about ## {}_2H ## which I got from {}_2H ?

4. Jun 20, 2017 #3

julian

Gold Member

Still doesn't look right: ##{}_{loc}<0|##. What's the command for reducing the in-between space?

5. Jun 20, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Which in-betweens? What's too far spread? You could use text: ##{}_{loc}\text{<0|}##.

6. Jun 20, 2017 #5

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should really use "\langle" and "\rangle" instead of "<" and ">" : $${}_{loc}\langle 0|$$ $$|0 \rangle_{loc}$$

7. Jun 20, 2017 #6

julian

Gold Member

Thanks everybody.

8. Jun 20, 2017 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just to mention why: "<" and ">" are binary relations and LaTeX typesets them as such, including additional spacing (apart from actually being different symbols). \langle and \rangle are delimiters just like ), ], and \} and are typeset as such.

Edit: If you use \left and \right, < and > will be equivalent to \langle and \rangle, i.e., \left< is an alias for \left\langle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted