1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subsequences and convergence

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I had this question on my midterm yesterday:

Let s_n be a convergent sequence. Let lim s_n = s. Show, using the definition of convergence, that all subsequences of s_n converge to the same limit.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since s_n converges, then for any e > 0, we can find N such that |s_n - s| < e for all n > N.

Thus s - e < s_n < s + e. Also, define S = {s_(n_k) | k \in N and n > N}. Then any element s_n_k for which n > N belongs to S, which is a subset of {s_n | n > N}, which is again a subset of the interval [-(s + e), s + e].

For the sake of completeness, there are only finitely many s_n_k's for which n < N. Let N_0 be the greatest n for which s_n_k does not belong to S. Then for all n > N_0, s_n_k belongs to set S. So we just have to pick our N to be greater than this N_0.

This shows that |s_n_k - s| < e, and we are done. Is this enough, or have I missed anything?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?