Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subsequent Measurements

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    So i've gotten myself stumped the other day.

Suppose I have an electron in a magnetic field, where the field is oriented along the x-axis, than I know that the H-matrix/operator is defined as -g*|B|*h/2 *Sx. Now say I know that I have a wave-function in a known initial state-vector, lets call is A. I can express A as a linear combination of the two eigenvectors associated with the H-matrix. Ok that seems fine, I can make a measurement of <A|H|A> and that's great. And if I want to let the system evolve in time I just stick the energy eigenvalues into the evolution (exp[-iEt/h]). But lets say I want to make a measurement of Sz now that I have the energy of the system after a short time.

Now I get myself confused, since H commutes with any S can't I just take the state-vector A, expressed as a linear combination of H's eigenvectors, and operate Sz on A to determine the expectation of Sz? When I ask some of my classmates we end up having a disagreement on whether or not this a viable measurement or not, and if it is if I am adding complications or not.

Any help on clearing this up would be great.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2
    I guess you did not get any reply till now, because your question is not very clear. For instance you say "I can make a measurement of <A|H|A> ". Now, <A|H|A> is an expectation value. It is neither a measurement nor a result of a single measurement. Perhaps if you edit your question so that it becomes really precise, then you will get some feedback.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook