Subset Condititonal Question

• Thread starter Zarlucicil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an implication in proofs that states if T is a subset of S, then there exists two elements s' and s'' in S such that t is between them for all t in T. The set S must be a linearly ordered set, specifically intervals, for this statement to be true. However, the speaker is unsure if this is true for non-interval sets, but cannot find a counterexample. Another person suggests that this statement is true for any ordered set S.
Zarlucicil
I've used the following implication (conditional...whatever you want to call it) in a few proofs and was wondering if it's actually is true. I incorporated it into my proofs because it seemed to make obvious sense, but I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something- obvious or subtle.

[tex] T \subseteq S \Rightarrow \exists s' \in S \& \exists s'' \in S \ni [s' \leq t \leq s''], \forall t \in T [/tex].

English: If T is a subset of S, then there exists an s' in S and an s'' in S such that t is greater than or equal to s' and less than or equal to s'', for all t in T.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, we are not talking about general sets. In order for the inequalities to make sense, S must be a linearly ordered set- probably the set or real numbers. And it looks to me like, in order for that statement to be true, S and T must be intervals specifically.

HallsofIvy said:
S must be a linearly ordered set

Yes- I'm sorry. S is a subset of the real numbers.
HallsofIvy said:
And it looks to me like, in order for that statement to be true, S and T must be intervals specifically.

I suppose that might be true, but I can't think of a counterexample involving non-interval sets nor have I found a way to disprove the implication for non-interval sets. It seems to be true for at least some non-interval sets. For example, when T = {-3.2, -1, 7} and S = {-4, -3.2, -1, 0, 7, 9}. Hmm, or are these example sets considered to be "intervals" because they can be written as the union of intervals? --> T = [-3.2, -3.2] U [-1, -1] U [7, 7]. If they are considered to be intervals, then I don't know what wouldn't be considered an interval.

This is true for any ordered set S. Just pick s'=s''=t

I can confirm that this implication is indeed true. It is a fundamental property of subsets that if T is a subset of S, then all elements in T must also be elements of S. This means that there must exist some elements in S that are both greater than or equal to the smallest element in T (s') and less than or equal to the largest element in T (s''). This is precisely what the implication states.

It is also worth noting that this implication is not limited to proofs, but can also be applied in practical situations. For example, in a set of data, if one subset is a subset of another, then all data points in the smaller subset must also be present in the larger subset. This can be useful in data analysis and comparisons.

In summary, the subset conditional question you have used in your proofs is a valid implication and can be applied in various scenarios, including practical ones.

1) What is a Subset Conditional Question?

A Subset Conditional Question is a type of question used in research and data analysis. It involves dividing a larger group (known as the population) into smaller groups (known as subsets) based on specific criteria or conditions. This allows for more focused analysis and comparisons within the data.

2) How is a Subset Conditional Question different from a regular research question?

A regular research question is typically broader and aims to explore a general topic, while a Subset Conditional Question is more specific and focuses on a particular aspect or condition within the larger topic. Additionally, a Subset Conditional Question often involves multiple sub-questions or conditions, whereas a regular research question may only have one main question.

3) What are some examples of Subset Conditional Questions?

Examples of Subset Conditional Questions include: "How does the level of education affect job satisfaction among different age groups?", "What is the relationship between exercise frequency and BMI for individuals with different dietary habits?", and "Does the effectiveness of a new medication vary based on the severity of the illness in different populations?"

4) How do you determine the subsets in a Subset Conditional Question?

The subsets in a Subset Conditional Question are determined based on the specific criteria or conditions being studied. This can be determined through prior research, theoretical frameworks, or data analysis. It is important to clearly define and justify the subsets in order to accurately answer the research question.

5) Why are Subset Conditional Questions useful in scientific research?

Subset Conditional Questions allow for a more targeted and specific approach to research, which can lead to more nuanced and accurate findings. By dividing the population into subsets, researchers can better understand how different factors or conditions may impact the overall results. This can also help identify any potential patterns or relationships within the data that may have been overlooked in a broader research question.