Understanding Subgroups of Integers: Explained Simply

• Thread starter matheinste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the definition of a subgroup states that a subset must have at least one element in order to be a subgroup. If x-y is in S for all x and y in S, then x is in S.
matheinste
Hello all.

I reluctantly ask this question because it is probably,as the text states easy, but my desire to clear this point up overides my fear of looking a fool.

I quote word for word but will use words instead of the belongs to symbol.

A subset S of the set Z of integers is a subgroup of Z if 0 is in S, -x is in S,and x+y is in S for all x and y in S. It is easy to see that a non empty subset S of Z is a subgroup of Z if and only if x-y is in S for all x and y in S.

I understand the definition and I can see that 0 is in S. I can only assume that somehow because -x ( the additive inverse of x ) is in S that this guarantees that x is in S. If S were a subgroup of Z of course -x being in the subgroup means that x was in it. But we are not assuming that S is a subgroup but testing for it.

Help!

Matheinste.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all, how "can" you see that 0 is in S? S is non empty. So a is in S. And you know that aa^-1 = e ( = 0) is in S.

Thaks radou. I am not being deliberately awkward, I just need to completely grasp the basics which I used to find uninteresting but now regard as most interesting. As S is defined only as a subset ( non empty } and has therefore no structure defined I cannot see how we can assume anything about the set from its being non empty.

More help please.

Matheinste.

matheinste said:
As S is defined only as a subset ( non empty } and has therefore no structure defined I cannot see how we can assume anything about the set from its being non empty.

More help please.

Matheinste.

Ok, what exactly is your question? Does this bother you?

matheinste said:
It is easy to see that a non empty subset S of Z is a subgroup of Z if and only if x-y is in S for all x and y in S.

If so, you already know that 0 is in S, from the previous post. Now, (since we're proving direction "<=", and we assumed that x-y is in S for all x and y in S), what can we "do" with 0 and a?

Thanks radou. I think I may be a little less stupid today.

I see now that if we have at least one element in S and call it x then we have x-x=0 is in S by what we are given. Then we can have 0-x is in S and so
-x is in S and this is our inverse element and so x-(-x)=x+x is in S. This fulfils the requirements stated subgroup.

Is that OK.

Matheinste.

matheinste said:
Thanks radou. I think I may be a little less stupid today.

I see now that if we have at least one element in S and call it x then we have x-x=0 is in S by what we are given. Then we can have 0-x is in S and so
-x is in S and this is our inverse element and so x-(-x)=x+x is in S. This fulfils the requirements stated subgroup.

Is that OK.

Matheinste.
I'm puzzled by that last statement. Why is it important that x+ x be in S?
More to the point is that if x and y are in S, then so is -y and x-(-y)= x+ y is in S.

Thankyou HallsofIvy. I take note of what you have said. I am now happy with the answer.

Matheinste.

1. What is a subset of the integers?

A subset of the integers is a group of numbers taken from the set of all integers. It is a smaller set that contains some, but not necessarily all, of the elements from the original set.

2. How is a subset of the integers different from the set of integers?

A subset of the integers is a smaller set that contains only some elements from the set of integers, while the set of integers contains all whole numbers and their negatives.

3. What are some examples of subsets of the integers?

Some examples of subsets of the integers include the set of even numbers, the set of prime numbers, and the set of negative integers.

4. How is a subset of the integers represented?

A subset of the integers can be represented using set notation, where the elements are listed within braces. For example, the subset of even numbers can be represented as {2, 4, 6, 8, ...}.

5. What is the cardinality of a subset of the integers?

The cardinality of a subset of the integers is the number of elements in the subset. It can be any non-negative integer, including 0.