1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subset Question

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to prove the absorption law
    A U (A ∩ B) = A
    I know that a way to prove this is to show that each is a subset of the other but I'm a little confused about one part in the process (below)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let x∈A U (A ∩ B)
    then x∈A or x∈(A ∩ B)
    so because x∈A then we know that A U (A ∩ B) ⊆ A (I don't understand why this line is true.)

Why just because x∈A does it mean that A U (A ∩ B) ⊆ A is true? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Arguably there's a step missing in there.
    If x∈(A ∩ B) then x∈A , so either way x∈A U (A ∩ B) implies x∈A.
    Thus you have shown that every element of A U (A ∩ B) is an element of A. Hence A U (A ∩ B) ⊆ A.

4. Jan 12, 2015 #3
    This is true because each element in the subset ' A U (A ∩ B) ' must belong to A .

5. Jan 13, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

This is a logical argument. You are trying to show that if x is in ##A \cup ( A \cap B)##, then it is also in A, and if x is in A, then it is in ##A \cup ( A \cap B)##.
    You have already shown the first part (edit) by the definition of the intersection: if x is in ##A \cup ( A \cap B)##, then it is also in A, which implies that ##A \cup ( A \cap B)\subseteq A ##,
    Next, you need to show that ##A \subseteq A \cup ( A \cap B) ##. That should be simple enough by the definition of a union. So it looks like you are just about done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted