Subshells and transition metals

This is due to the fact that half-filled subshells have lower energy levels than partially filled ones.In summary, the electronic configuration for iron follows the rule of s shells filling before d shells, but also emptying before them. The subshell configuration for Fe2+ is 4s0 3d6, while Fe3+ is 4s0 3d5. When adding one electron to Fe3+, it would go into the 4s subshell, resulting in either 4s0 3d6 (violating the rule) or 4s1 3d5 (giving two possible configurations for Fe2+). The most stable ion for iron is when the subshell is half-filled
clouded.perception
I have a question that my teacher can't answer. :(

I get that with the electronic configurations for atoms, an s shell fills before a d shell but also empties before a d shell. Okay.

So the last couple of subshells for iron are 4s2 3d6; Fe2+ would be 4s0 3d6 and Fe3+ would be 4s0 3d5.

Am I right so far?

My question is -- what happens if you add one electron to Fe3+? Which subshell does it go in? Do you get 4s0 3d6 (which violates the "s shell first" rule), or 4s1 3d5 (which gives you two different subshell configurations for Fe2+, depending on what it started as)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most stable ion is where the subshell is half-filled. For Fe 2+, [Ar]3d5 4s1 would be more stable than [Ar]4s0 3d6.

I can provide a response to your question. The electronic configurations of atoms and ions are determined by the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill orbitals in order of increasing energy. This means that the 4s subshell has a lower energy than the 3d subshell, so it is filled before the 3d subshell. However, when it comes to removing electrons, the 3d subshell has a lower energy than the 4s subshell, so electrons are removed from the 4s subshell first.

In the case of Fe3+, the electronic configuration is 4s0 3d5. If you were to add one electron to this ion, it would go into the 4s subshell, giving you the configuration of 4s1 3d5. This is because the 3d subshell is already half-filled, making it more stable than the 4s subshell. Therefore, the Aufbau principle is still followed.

I hope this answers your question and helps to clarify the concept of subshells and transition metals. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Science is all about questioning and seeking answers, and as scientists, we are always happy to help others understand and learn.

1. What are subshells and how are they related to transition metals?

Subshells are different energy levels within an electron shell, which is the area surrounding an atom's nucleus where electrons are found. Transition metals are elements that have partially filled d or f subshells, making them good conductors of heat and electricity.

2. How do subshells affect the properties of transition metals?

The partially filled d or f subshells in transition metals allow them to have unique properties such as high melting and boiling points, malleability, and the ability to form colored compounds.

3. How many subshells are there in an atom's electron shell?

There are four subshells in an atom's electron shell: s, p, d, and f. Each subshell has a different shape and maximum number of electrons it can hold.

4. Why are transition metals called "transition" metals?

Transition metals are called "transition" metals because they are found in the middle of the periodic table, between the highly reactive alkali and alkaline earth metals and the less reactive metals on the right side of the table.

5. How are subshells and transition metals used in everyday life?

Subshells and transition metals are used in various ways in our daily lives. For example, transition metals like iron, copper, and zinc are used in construction materials, electronics, and jewelry. They are also used in industrial processes such as catalysis and in the production of fertilizers and pigments.