Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subsonic diffuser is an expanding pipe

1. Mar 28, 2005 #1

books says
    Subsonic diffuser is an expanding pipe.

In a picture it shows A -> B the radius of pipie decreases.

I was under the impression that subsonic and expanding pipe meant radius getting larger.

please clarify .. thanks again
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2
    also is there a definition for shock.... or formula? my book doesn't give a definition
  4. Mar 30, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe your book is upside down :rofl: . A subsonic diffuser is a pipe whose radius becames larger as we advance in axial direction (flow direction).

As far as shocks are concerned, a Shock Wave is a flow discontinuity in compressible flow. Variables such as velocity, pressure and temperature have a "virtual" discontinuity across the Shock Wave.

And I have mentioned the word "virtual" because such discontinuity doesn't happen in real flow. In fact Navier-Stokes formulae don't admit any discontinuity, because viscous diffusion always make a smoothing effect over the flow. Only the unreal theory of inviscid flow deals with discontinuities. Traditionally such discontinuities have been called "Shock Waves", and they have a mathematical structure based on the Rankine-Hugoniot jump conditions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?