Is the Intersection of Two Subspaces Always a Subspace?

In summary, R and S are subspaces of R^3 and their intersection, T, is also a subspace. This is proven by the theorem that states if A and B are subspaces, then their intersection will also be a subspace. Condition (i) for W to be a subspace means that if the zero vector is in W, then W is nonempty. This is demonstrated by the fact that (0, 0, 0) is in both R and S, making it also in their intersection, T. The error in determining T as not a subspace was in assuming that a and b had to be the same values in both R and S, when in fact they can be any real numbers.
lkh1986

Homework Statement

R = { (a+1, b 0) | a, b are real numbers}
S = { (a+b, b, c) | a, b, c are real numbers)
T = R intersect S

I have shown that R and S are subspaces of R^3. Now I have to determine whether T is also a subspace of R^3.

The answer provided is that yes, T is also a subspace, because by theorem, if A and B are subspaces, then their intersection will also be a subspace.

Homework Equations

The 3 conditions for W to be a subspace.

(i) W is nonempty, or vector 0 inside W.
(ii) If u, v inside W, then u+ also inside W.
(iii) If u inside W and k is a scalar value, ku also inside W.

I have a question here for condition (i). Does it mean that if (0,0,0) inside W, then W is nonempty? I mean, W is nonempty because it has 3 elements in (0,0,0)? Take an example, let U = {(x,y,5)|x, y are real}, so U is not a subspace by condition (i) because the third entry or element will always be 5 and will never be 0. Am I right?

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the intersection of R and S, I equate a+1 = a+b, I will be b = 1.
Also, b=b and c=0.

So I will get T = {(a+1,1,0)| a is a real number}

Since (0,0,0) is not inside T, (because the second entry will always be 1 and never be 0) so T is NOT a subspace. However, I know from theorem that any intersection of 2 subspaces must also be a subspace. So there's a contradiction here.

The only thing that I can think of that could go wrong is that I cannot equate a + 1 = a+b and then b=1, because a, b are just dummy variables. They could be any real numbers. So, while both R and S use the unknown a in their description or notation, they somehow cannot be regarded as the "same" thing?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lkh1986 said:

Homework Statement

R = { (a+1, b 0) | a, b are real numbers}
S = { (a+b, b, c) | a, b, c are real numbers)
T = R intersect S

I have shown that R and S are subspaces of R^3. Now I have to determine whether T is also a subspace of R^3.

The answer provided is that yes, T is also a subspace, because by theorem, if A and B are subspaces, then their intersection will also be a subspace.

Homework Equations

The 3 conditions for W to be a subspace.

(i) W is nonempty, or vector 0 inside W.
(ii) If u, v inside W, then u+ also inside W.
(iii) If u inside W and k is a scalar value, ku also inside W.

I have a question here for condition (i). Does it mean that if (0,0,0) inside W, then W is nonempty? I mean, W is nonempty because it has 3 elements in (0,0,0)? Take an example, let U = {(x,y,5)|x, y are real}, so U is not a subspace by condition (i) because the third entry or element will always be 5 and will never be 0. Am I right?
Yes, the fact that (0, 0, 0) is in W means it is nonempty. The fact that anything is in W means it is non-empty! But the point is not just that (0, 0, 0) "has 3 elements", it is because (0, 0, 0)= (-1+1, 0, 0), with a= -1, b= 0 is in R and (0, 0, 0)= (0+ 0, 0, 0) with a= b= c= 0 is in T and so is in their intersection.

If you were to look only at "(i) W is nonempty" then the fact that (0, 0, 5) is in a set proves it is nonempty! However, (ii) would fail. Once (0, 0, 5) is in the set (0, 0, 5)+ (0, 0, 5)= (0, 0, 10) whichi s NOT of the form (x, y, 5). The reason you can use either "W is nonempty" or "vector 0 is inside W" is because if v is in W then by (iii) so is -v and then, by (ii) v+ (-v)= 0 is in W.

Yes, if (0, 0, 0) is in W, then it is nonempty and if (ii) and (iii) are also true then T is a subspace of [itex]R^3[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the intersection of R and S, I equate a+1 = a+b, I will be b = 1.
Also, b=b and c=0.

So I will get T = {(a+1,1,0)| a is a real number}

Since (0,0,0) is not inside T, (because the second entry will always be 1 and never be 0) so T is NOT a subspace. However, I know from theorem that any intersection of 2 subspaces must also be a subspace. So there's a contradiction here.

The only thing that I can think of that could go wrong is that I cannot equate a + 1 = a+b and then b=1, because a, b are just dummy variables. They could be any real numbers. So, while both R and S use the unknown a in their description or notation, they somehow cannot be regarded as the "same" thing?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what you mean by "regarded as the 'same' thing" but your error is as you say- to have a vector in both R and S, it does not have to be for the same a, b, and c. Taking a= -1, b= 0, c= 0, as I said above, gives (0, 0, 0). Indeed, saying R is a subspace implies that (0, 0, 0) is in the set. Similarly, taking a= b= c= 0 gives (0, 0, 0) in S. Since (0, 0, 0) is in both sets, it is in their intersection.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "regarded as the 'same' thing" but your error is as you say- to have a vector in both R and S, it does not have to be for the same a, b, and c. Taking a= -1, b= 0, c= 0, as I said above, gives (0, 0, 0). Indeed, saying R is a subspace implies that (0, 0, 0) is in the set. Similarly, taking a= b= c= 0 gives (0, 0, 0) in S. Since (0, 0, 0) is in both sets, it is in their intersection.

The "regarded as the 'same' thing" means that the value for a is the same for both R and S. I think I understand the question now.

Thanks very much for the explanation, especially on how condition (iii) is related to condition (i), simply by choosing the scalar value k=-1. :)

1. What is subspace?

Subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three conditions: it contains the zero vector, is closed under vector addition, and is closed under scalar multiplication.

2. What are the three conditions for a subspace?

The three conditions for a subspace are: it contains the zero vector, is closed under vector addition, and is closed under scalar multiplication.

3. How is subspace related to vector spaces?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that has the same structure and operations as the vector space. It is essentially a smaller version of the original vector space.

4. Can a subspace be empty?

Yes, a subspace can be empty if it does not contain the zero vector. However, it would still satisfy the other two conditions of being closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

5. How is subspace different from a vector space?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space and has the same structure and operations as the vector space, but it is smaller in size. A vector space can contain multiple subspaces, while a subspace cannot contain other subspaces.