What are the possible values of dimS for a given vector x in R^4?

In summary, the 24 rearrangements of the 4 numbers (x1, x2, x3, x4) in R^4 span a subspace S with dimension of 4. There is only one vector in this subspace which is the complement of (x4, x3, x1, x2).
EvLer

Homework Statement

choose x = (x1, x2, x3, x4) in R^4. It has 24 rearrangements like (x2, x1, x3, x4) and (x4, x3, x1, x2). Those 24 vectors including x itself span a subspace S. Find specific vectors x so that dimS is 0, 1, 3, 4

The Attempt at a Solution

So, i thought of it this way: 24 possiblities to arrange 4 numbers:
4*3*2*1 = 4! = 24

for dim S = 0 i got vector x = 0-vector;
for dimS = 1 i got x = (1, 1, 1, 1) since whichever way you rearrange it, it's still same;
for dim S = 4 i got x = (0, 0, 0, 1) or complement of this, since 1 can be carried through 4 times and new Lin indep vectors will result, which would be a basis and so dimS = 4;
but for dimS = 3 i can't figure it out, I tried all possible combinations of (1, 1, 0, 0) and (1, 1, 1, 0), but it does not work out...
it does not say that elements should be 0 or 1 necessarily, but i thought it was simple enough...
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: It shouldn't be too hard to show that if any of the entries in x are distinct, then S contains all vectors in the plane perpendicular to (1,1,1,1).

i don't get it... yes, to check if they are really a basis i do arrange them into cols and make sure the rank is 3 for this case.
but (1, 2, 3, 4) or (2, 3, 5, 7) do not work. Can you give a more explicit hint?

Forget about ranks of matrices. If two of the entries in x are different, say x_1 and x_2, then subtracting (x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) from (x_2,x_1,x_3,x_4) gives a scalar multiple of (1,-1,0,0). Similarly, you can get (1,0,-1,0), etc. What subspace do these generate?

ok, that works... do you mind explaining why that works? maybe geometrically ... because right now it is not very intuitive to me... thanks :)

Well, for any vector, the dot product with (1,1,1,1), which is just the sum of its entries, is unchanged by applying any permutation to it. This means all the permutations lie in the same plane perpendicular to (1,1,1,1), and so their differences lie in the 3 dimensional subspace perpendicular to (1,1,1,1) (ie, the plane perpendicular to (1,1,1,1) which passes through the origin). It's not hard to show that for any non-zero vector in this subspace, its permutations generate the entire subspace. Thus if x is any vector which isn't fixed by the permutations (ie, isn't a multiple of (1,1,1,1)), S contains this subspace.

From there, S is either this subspace or all of R^4 depending on whether x is in the subspace itself: if it is in the subspace, so are all its permutations, so S is contained in, and so equal to, this subspace. If it isnt, it is linearly independent to any set of vectors in the subspace, and so generates a properly containing subspace, the only one of which is all of R^4.

Last edited:

1. What is subspace?

Subspace refers to a subset of a vector space that satisfies certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication. It can also be thought of as a smaller space within a larger space.

2. How is subspace related to permutations?

Permutations are a way of rearranging a set of elements, and can be thought of as a transformation on a vector space. Subspaces can be affected by these transformations, as they may change the properties of the subset or how it relates to the larger space.

3. What are the properties of a subspace?

A subspace must contain the zero vector, be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and be a subset of the larger vector space. Additionally, any linear combination of vectors in the subspace must also be in the subspace.

4. How are subspaces and spans related?

A subspace is a type of span, which is a set of all possible linear combinations of a given set of vectors. However, not all spans are subspaces, as they may not satisfy all the properties of a subspace.

5. Why is understanding subspaces and permutations important in science?

Subspaces and permutations are important in science because they can help us model and understand complex systems and relationships. They can also be used in fields such as computer science, physics, and mathematics to solve problems and make predictions.