1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspace notation help

1. Oct 24, 2004 #1
    Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help me with something. Could someone explain to me exactly what this expression means:

H = {(a+b) + (a - 2b)t + bt^2 | a E R, b E R}

the purpose is to find the dimension of the given subspace, which I know how to do, I have just never seen this notation, so I'm not exactly sure what this expresssion is telling me about the subspace. since a and e are real numbers, does that mean t is not necessarily a real number? and is the first part of the expression a single vector? or is it some sort of conglomeration of multiple vectors? Thanks for your help
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are looking at a vector space of polynomials (of degree 2 or higher).
    A set basis vectors could be: [itex]\{1,t,t^2,t^3,...,t^n\}[/itex]
    Then [tex]H=\{(a+b)+(a-2b)t +bt^2|a \in \mathbb{R}, b \in \mathbb{R}\}[/tex]
    would be a subspace of the polynomial space.
    So, formally speaking, [itex]t[/itex] is not a number, but a vector.
  4. Oct 24, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You also posted this under "linear algebra" and were given very good answers there.

The "notation" means that H is the subset of all quadratic polynomials
    α+ βt+ γt2 such that α= a-b, β= a- 2b, and γ= b.

The set of all quadratic polynomials has dimension 3 specifically because we can select any of the coefficients α, β, γ arbitrarily: a basis is { 1, t, t2}.

Here the coefficients depend upon only two numbers. Pick a or b arbitrarily and then you can calculate α, β, γ .

In particular, if you take a= 1, b= 0, the polynomial is 1+ t and if you take a= 0, b= 1, the polynomial is 1- 2t+ t2. A basis for H is {1+t, 1- 2t+ t2} so H has dimension 2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?