What is the meaning of this subspace notation?

In summary, the expression given is describing a subspace H of the vector space of all quadratic polynomials, with a basis of {1, t, t2}. The coefficients in the expression depend on two real numbers and the dimension of H is 2.
jbmap
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help me with something. Could someone explain to me exactly what this expression means:

H = {(a+b) + (a - 2b)t + bt^2 | a E R, b E R}

the purpose is to find the dimension of the given subspace, which I know how to do, I have just never seen this notation, so I'm not exactly sure what this expresssion is telling me about the subspace. since a and e are real numbers, does that mean t is not necessarily a real number? and is the first part of the expression a single vector? or is it some sort of conglomeration of multiple vectors? Thanks for your help
Davy

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are looking at a vector space of polynomials (of degree 2 or higher).
A set basis vectors could be: [itex]\{1,t,t^2,t^3,...,t^n\}[/itex]
Then [tex]H=\{(a+b)+(a-2b)t +bt^2|a \in \mathbb{R}, b \in \mathbb{R}\}[/tex]
would be a subspace of the polynomial space.
So, formally speaking, [itex]t[/itex] is not a number, but a vector.

You also posted this under "linear algebra" and were given very good answers there.

The "notation" means that H is the subset of all quadratic polynomials
α+ βt+ γt2 such that α= a-b, β= a- 2b, and γ= b.

The set of all quadratic polynomials has dimension 3 specifically because we can select any of the coefficients α, β, γ arbitrarily: a basis is { 1, t, t2}.

Here the coefficients depend upon only two numbers. Pick a or b arbitrarily and then you can calculate α, β, γ .

In particular, if you take a= 1, b= 0, the polynomial is 1+ t and if you take a= 0, b= 1, the polynomial is 1- 2t+ t2. A basis for H is {1+t, 1- 2t+ t2} so H has dimension 2.

1. What is subspace notation?

Subspace notation is a method of representing mathematical subspaces, which are sets of vectors that possess certain properties. It is commonly used in linear algebra and other mathematical fields.

2. How is subspace notation written?

Subspace notation typically uses the symbol "V" to represent the subspace, followed by a subscript indicating the dimension of the subspace. For example, V3 would represent a subspace in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the purpose of subspace notation?

Subspace notation allows for a concise and standardized way of representing subspaces in mathematics. It helps to simplify calculations and make them easier to understand.

4. What are some common properties of subspaces?

Some common properties of subspaces include being closed under addition and scalar multiplication, containing the zero vector, and being a subset of a larger vector space.

5. How is subspace notation used in real-world applications?

Subspace notation is used in various applications, such as in computer graphics for representing 3D objects and in physics for describing the motion of objects in space. It is also used in machine learning and data analysis for identifying patterns and relationships in data sets.