Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Subspace of a Function?

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    Subspace of a Function?!?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

{f [tex]\in[/tex] C([0, 1]): f(1/2) = 0}

Is this subset of C([0,1]) a subspace?

2. Relevant equations

C[0,1] be the set of all functions that are continuous on [0, 1].

(f + g)(x) = f(x) + g(x)

(af)(x) = a*f(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so if f is in the subspace of C than any linear combination of functions in the set should also be in the set. I understand that f is just the set of all functions for which f(1/2) = 0, but how am I supposed to answer the question formally?

Intuitively I understand that you might have two functions in the set, like:

f(x) = x - 1/2

g(x) = x2 - 1/4

And I know that:

(f + g)(x) = x2 + x - 3/4

(f + g)(1/2) = 1/4 + 2/4 - 3/4

(f + g)(1/2) = 0

Showing that it is a subspace if I just use those two functions. But how do I generalize my results to include any functions that could be in the set?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Subspace of a Function?!?

Take any two functions f and g that are continuous on [0, 1]. It's given that f(1/2) = 0 = g(1/2). What about their sum? What willl (f + g)(1/2) be? What will a*f(1/2) be for any scalar a?

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3

I definitely understand the logic of what you're saying. If f(1/2) and g(1/2) are both 0, then (f + g)(1/2) will also be zero.

But I don't know how to say it formally.

5. Feb 4, 2009 #4

Mark44

Let's give the subset a name:
    W = {f [itex]\in[/itex] C([0, 1]): f(1/2) = 0}

If f and g are in W, what does that mean, and what can you say about (f + g)?
    If f is in W, what can you say about (af), where a is a constant?

6. Feb 4, 2009 #5

The way I did it was:

W = {(f in C[0, 1]): f(1/2) = 0}

f(x) and g(x) are in the subset W

if W is a subspace then h(1/2) = 0 for h(x) = a*f(x) + b*g(x)

h(1/2) = a*f(1/2) + b*g(1/2)
    h(1/2) = a*0 + b*0
    h(1/2) = 0

So W is a subspace.

--

Does that seem about right?

7. Feb 4, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's nearly textbook perfect. All you missed is

This is true, except that's not what you want to prove. What you should have written is the converse: If h(1/2)=0 for h(x) = a*f(x) + b*g(x), then W is a subspace.

8. Feb 4, 2009 #7

Thanks. Can I ask if I did another question correctly?

The question asks:

Show that if S and T are subspaces of a vector space V, then S [tex]\cap[/tex] T is also a subspace.

My Solution thus far

S [tex]\cap[/tex] T [tex]\subset[/tex] S and S is a subspace, so S [tex]\cap[/tex] T is also a subspace.

That almost seems too easy though, but it seems obvious that if a set is a subspace, then any part of that set must also be a subspace.

9. Feb 5, 2009 #8

Mark44

The trouble is that not everything that belongs to a vector space (or subspace) is a subspace of that vector space (subspace). For example, R^2 with the usual rules for vector addition and scalar multiplication is a vector space, and the line x = 1 is in that space, but that line is not a subspace.

You have to show that if u and v are elements of S [tex]\bigcap[/tex] T, then u + v is in S [tex]\bigcap[/tex] T, and so is au, where a is any scalar (which is one way to show that 0 is in S [tex]\bigcap[/tex] T).

10. Feb 5, 2009 #9

Okay, here's how I approached the problem.

u is in S [tex]\cap[/tex] T
    v is in S [tex]\cap[/tex] T
    a, b are scalars

If S [tex]\cap[/tex] T is a subspace, then au + bv is in S [tex]\cap[/tex] T.
    If au + bv is in S [tex]\cap[/tex] T, then au + bv is in both S and T.

au + bv is in S because S is a subspace and au + bv is in T because T is a subspace.

There S [tex]\cap[/tex] T is a subspace.

Does that seem about right?

11. Feb 5, 2009 #10

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You got your if statements backwards. While

Is true, what you did is prove au+bv is in both S and T, so what you should write is

S [tex]\cap[/tex] T is a subspace only if au + bv is in S [tex]\cap[/tex] T.
    au + bv is in S [tex]\cap[/tex] T, only ifau + bv is in both S and T.

12. Feb 5, 2009 #11

Mark44

To concur with Office_Shredder, but saying it a little differently, don't start off by saying "If <what you're trying to prove>". Instead, that should go at the end of your logical progression.

IOW,
    if u in S [itex]\cap[/itex] T, v in S [itex]\cap[/itex] T, a, b are scalars, where S and T are subspaces of a vector space then <your argument here> ==> S [itex]\cap[/itex] T is a subspace.

Do you get what I'm saying?

13. Feb 5, 2009 #12

Yeah. This is like my 2nd or 3rd proof so admittedly I'm a little rusty on how to formally write out the proofs.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook