Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspace of Normed Vector Space

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    Let X be a normed vector space. If C is a closed subspace x is a point in X not in C, show that the set C+Fx is closed. (F is the underlying field of the vector space).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2
    Hi there!

Here's my suggestion, but it needs an overview from someone familiar with functional analysis, to be sure it's correct or incorrect:

As X is a normed space, C and Fx are also normed as subspaces of a normed space. So the convergence in these subspaces is set with respect to the original norm of X.

Let [tex]c_n, n\in N;c_n\longwrightarrow\c,c\in C[/tex] be a convergent sequence in C+Fx with limit c. Then, following the structure of the space (because x does not lie in C, C+Fx is a direct sum), we could write [tex]c_n=a_n+\lambda_n x; a_n\in C,\lambda_n\in F[/tex] both convergent sequences [tex]a_n\rightarrow a ;\lambda_n\rightarrow\lambda[/tex] (otherwise c_n could not be convergent).

Since C is closed then [tex]a\in C[/tex] and (assuming F is closed or complete)*** [tex]\lambda\in F[/tex]. So the limit takes the form [tex]c_n\rightarrow a+\lambda x\in C+Fx[/tex] and therefore lies in the space.

*** I am not sure, but I think F must also be given as closed. (as a counter example consider the space R^2 over the rationals Q: Set C to be the disc around the origin (closed) and x be some point not in C)

I hope this proof is true at least to some extend.

[edit: spelling :)]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. Sep 11, 2009 #3
    Marin is right, you need [itex]F[/itex] to be a complete field, for example the reals or complexes. Otherwise, from [itex]\lambda_n x[/itex] convergent we cannot conclude the limit is a scalar multiple of [itex]x[/itex].

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4
    Hi again!

As I look at the proof once again (assuming the proof is correct), the condition X to be a normed space could actually be reduced. The same proof will also be true for any metric space (X,d) with a metric d , as the metric induces the same metric on the subspaces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook