Proving U is a Subspace of R3

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
You should conclude that u + v belongs to set U.In summary, we are trying to show that the set U={(x,y,z) \in R3 : x=z} is a subspace of R3. To do this, we first showed that U is non-empty by showing it contains the zero vector (0,0,0). Next, we showed that U is closed under addition by taking two arbitrary vectors u=(s1,t1,s1) and v=(s2,t2,s2) and showing that their sum u+v=(s1+s2,t1+t2,s1+s2) also belongs to U. Finally, to show that U is closed under scalar multiplication, we took an arbitrary vector u
roam

Homework Statement

Let U={(x,y,z) [tex]\in[/tex] R3 : x=z}. Show that U is a subspace of R3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

U is non-empty it contains the 0 vector:

U= {(x,y,z) = (s,t,s), s,t [tex]\in[/tex] R}

U={s(1,0,1)+t(0,1,0), s,t [tex]\in[/tex] R}

for s,t=0
0(1,0,1)+0(0,1,0)=(0,0,0)

closed under addition:

u=(s1,t1,s1)
v=(s2,t2,s2)

u+v=(s1+s2,t1+t2,s1+s2)
Hence x=z

This was my attempt so far, I'm not sure how to prove the 3rd condition... can anyone show me how to prove that it is closed under scalar multipication?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are taking scalars in R.
[itex]\lambda (x,y,x)=[/itex]?

You should take an arbitrary element of the set and multiply by an arbitrary scalar and then show the result is still in the set. That's what the definition means!

So,

A vector u=(s1,t1,s1) belongs to the set.

for a scalar [tex]\lambda \in R[/tex]

λ(s1,t1,s1)=λs1,λt1,λs1

Is this all I need to write??

roam said:
So,

A vector u=(s1,t1,s1) belongs to the set.

for a scalar [tex]\lambda \in R[/tex]

λ(s1,t1,s1)=λs1,λt1,λs1

Is this all I need to write??

Does your vector u belong to set U? If so, you should have that as your conclusion.

Also, from your work in an earlier post, does your vector u + v belong to set U? If it does, you should say that. You concluded "hence x = z" which is not what you should conclude.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that follows the same rules and operations as the original vector space. This means that a subspace must be closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you prove that U is a subspace of R3?

To prove that U is a subspace of R3, we must show that it satisfies the two requirements for a subspace: closure under addition and scalar multiplication. This means that if we take any two vectors from U and add them, the resulting vector must also be in U. Similarly, if we multiply any vector in U by a scalar, the resulting vector must also be in U.

3. What are the steps for proving that U is a subspace of R3?

The steps for proving that U is a subspace of R3 are as follows:

1. Show that the zero vector (0,0,0) is in U.
  2. Take two arbitrary vectors from U and show that their sum is also in U.
  3. Take an arbitrary vector from U and an arbitrary scalar, and show that their scalar product is also in U.

4. Can you give an example of a subspace of R3?

One example of a subspace of R3 is the xy-plane, which consists of all vectors with a z-coordinate of 0. This subspace is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, as any two vectors in the xy-plane will still have a z-coordinate of 0 when added, and any vector in the xy-plane multiplied by a scalar will still have a z-coordinate of 0.

5. Is R3 a subspace of itself?

Yes, R3 is a subspace of itself. This is because it satisfies the two requirements for a subspace: closure under addition and scalar multiplication. Any vector added to itself will still result in a vector in R3, and any vector in R3 multiplied by a scalar will still result in a vector in R3.