Subspace Problem: Determine if Set is in R2

• Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a set forms a subspace of R2 and the steps involved in solving such problems, such as showing that the set includes the zero vector and is closed under scalar multiplication and vector addition. The conversation also touches on the importance of manipulating the set to make it true under the two subspace rules. It is concluded that the vector (0,0)^T is in the subspace because 3*0=0, thus satisfying the requirement of including the zero vector.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following sets form subspaces of R2

{(x1,x2)T|x1=3x2}

So I rewrote the set in order for it to be homogenous ( I'm not sure why we would do that but I saw a problem saying if we can do it to do it.

{(x1,x2)T|x1-3x2=0}

So my logic when solving subspace problems is I want to make sure that what is on the right side is true, and will be closed under scalar multiplication and addition.

using the matrix (1,1)T to check I get 1-3≠0 so it is not closed under addition.

Not sure if I'm doing this correctly the concept is really confusing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement

{(x1,x2)T|x1=3x2}
Certainly x1 = 3x2 is equivalent to x1 - 3x2 = 0, so that's valid. I'm not sure how helpful it is, though.
Mdhiggenz said:
So I rewrote the set in order for it to be homogenous ( I'm not sure why we would do that but I saw a problem saying if we can do it to do it.

{(x1,x2)T|x1-3x2=0}

So my logic when solving subspace problems is I want to make sure that what is on the right side is true, and will be closed under scalar multiplication and addition.
This makes very little sense.

What you need to show is, that your set includes the zero vector, and, for any two vectors in your set, their sum is also in the set, and, for any scalar and any vector in your set, the scalar multiple is in the set.
Mdhiggenz said:
using the matrix (1,1)T to check I get 1-3≠0 so it is not closed under addition.
??
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Equations

Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement

{(x1,x2)T|x1=3x2}

{(x1,x2)T|x1-3x2=0}

Homework Equations

x1-3x2=0 isn't supposed to be true for ANY vector. It's only true for vectors in V={(x1,x2)^T: x1-3x2=0}. Suppose a=(a1,a2)^T is in V. What can you say about the relation between a1 and a2. Take b=(b1,b2)^T to be another point in V. a+b=(a1+b1,a2+b2)^T. You want to show that is also in V.

So I kept staring at the problem a bit and realized that the left side will always be the same. So the right side must be manipulated in such a way to make it true under the two subspace rules.

So let A=(3x2,x2)T and B=(3v2,v2)T is what the right side is saying now I am going to to check to make sure they follow the two rules.

A is closed under scalar multiplication because (3(β)(x2),βx2)T
Lies in the set, and is simply just a scalar multiple.

if I add A+B I get (3(x2+v2),(x2+v2))T

Which is closed under scalar addition.

Is my reasoning correct?

That's correct. Depending on how you learn it, I was taught you also have to show that the set is non-empty, ie, show that ##\vec 0## lives in the vector space, which is pretty trivial to show.

Mdhiggenz said:
So I kept staring at the problem a bit and realized that the left side will always be the same. So the right side must be manipulated in such a way to make it true under the two subspace rules.

So let A=(3x2,x2)T and B=(3v2,v2)T is what the right side is saying now I am going to to check to make sure they follow the two rules.

A is closed under scalar multiplication because (3(β)(x2),βx2)T
Lies in the set, and is simply just a scalar multiple.
We don't talk about the vectors being closed under these operations - we talk about the set they belong to being closed under scalar multiplication or vector addition.
Start with a as you have defined it (capital letters are often used for matrices - you are dealing with vectors here) to show that βa is in the set.
Mdhiggenz said:
if I add A+B I get (3(x2+v2),(x2+v2))T

Which is closed under scalar addition.
This is the idea, but you need to show what you're doing.

a + b = (3x2, x2) + (3v2, v2) = ...

Conclude that since a + b is also in the set, the set is closed under vector addition.
Mdhiggenz said:
Is my reasoning correct?

To show that 0 lives in the vector space can I just show that it is homogeneous and thus has the trivial solution 0?

Mdhiggenz said:
To show that 0 lives in the vector space can I just show that it is homogeneous and thus has the trivial solution 0?

The vector (0,0)^T is in the subspace because 3*0=0. That's all. You are thinking of this way too abstractly.

Awesome thanks for the clarification guys.

What is a subspace in mathematics?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies certain conditions, such as being closed under addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, it is a subset of a larger space that still maintains the structure of a vector space.

How do you determine if a set is a subspace in R2?

To determine if a set is a subspace in R2, you must check if it satisfies the three conditions of a subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. If all three conditions are met, then the set is a subspace in R2.

What are the benefits of using R2 in subspace problems?

R2, or the two-dimensional Euclidean space, is commonly used in subspace problems because it is easy to visualize and work with. It also provides a good basis for understanding higher-dimensional vector spaces.

What is the role of linear independence in determining if a set is a subspace in R2?

A set of vectors in R2 must be linearly independent in order to be a subspace. This means that no vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors. If a set is not linearly independent, it cannot be a subspace in R2.

Can a set that is a subspace in R2 also be a subspace in R3?

No, a set cannot be a subspace in both R2 and R3. This is because R2 and R3 have different dimensions and therefore have different requirements for a set to be a subspace. A set that is a subspace in R2 may not satisfy the conditions for a subspace in R3, and vice versa.