1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspace question

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I would like to know why the set of all n*n matrix whose determinant is zero is not a subspace of Mn,n .Can anyone explain the reason for me?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    Not closed under matrix addition.

4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    In general, the relation det(a + b) = det(a) + det(b) doesn't hold. Try to think of an example where det(a) = det(b) = 0 but det (a + b) is not equal to zero.

5. Apr 17, 2009 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True, but not the point. If det were a linear map then its kernel is a subspace. Its kernel not being a subspace implies det is not a linear map. But that does not mean that its kernel is not a subspace (exercise: find an example of a map f from a vector space to the base field so that f is not linear, but the set of x such that f(x) is zero is a subspace).

6. Apr 18, 2009 #5
    Hi, I do not understand why it is not closed under matrix addition.It is still a Mn,n matrix isn't it?

7. Apr 18, 2009 #6
    Find two matrices whose det is 0 but whose sum has nonzero det.

8. Apr 18, 2009 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But that isn't the only criterion you had to have the sum satisfy, is it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook