1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Subspace spanned(Is this right?)

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    so, if I wanna calculate the subspace spanned by A in:

[tex]A = {(1,0,1) , (0,1,0)} in R^{3}[/tex]

[tex] c_{1}(1,0,1)+c_{2}(0,1,0) = (x,y,z)[/tex]

i can make a system:

[tex]c_{1} = x[/tex]

[tex]c_{2} = y[/tex]

[tex]c_{1} = z[/tex]

from which I can conclude that x = z, and so, the subspace spanned will be the plane given by x = z.

Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2
    This is half a proof. You have shown that the subspace [tex]S[/tex] spanned by [tex]\{(1,0,1), (0,1,0)\}[/tex] is contained in the plane [tex]P = \{(x, y, z) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : x = z \}[/tex]. You also need to show that [tex]S[/tex] contains [tex]P[/tex]. You could do this by direct calculation, or by an argument based on dimension.

4. Jan 25, 2010 #3
    i see. So how would you calculate it then?

5. Jan 25, 2010 #4
    You showed that [tex]S \subset P[/tex] by showing that if [tex]v \in S[/tex], that is, [tex]v[/tex] is a linear combination of [tex](1,0,1)[/tex] and [tex](0,1,0)[/tex], then [tex]v \in P[/tex], that is, the first and third coordinates of [tex]v[/tex] are equal.

Show that [tex]S \supset P[/tex] by proving the reverse implication: if [tex]v \in P[/tex], that is, if the first and third coordinates of [tex]v[/tex] are equal, then [tex]v \in S[/tex], that is, [tex]v[/tex] is a linear combination of [tex](1,0,1)[/tex] and [tex](0,1,0)[/tex]. You should be able to exhibit explicitly the coefficients in this linear combination, using the components of [tex]v[/tex].

6. Jan 25, 2010 #5
    got it, thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook