Subspace Theorem: Decide if R1 in P2

In summary, using the subspace Theorem, it can be determined that a) R1 is a subspace of P2, closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. However, b) R1 is not a subspace as it does not satisfy the condition for vector addition. And c) R1 is also not a subspace as it does not hold true for the addition of -x^2 and x^2, making it not of degree 2. Therefore, c) R1 is not a subspace of P2.
forty
Use the subspace Theorem to decide if the following are subspaces of P2, the vector space of all polynomials of degree at most 2.

a) R1 = {ao + a1x +a2x^2 | ao = 0}
b) R1 = {ao + a1x +a2x^2 | a1 = 1}
c) R1 = { p E P2 | p has exactly degree 2}

(for part c 'E' is 'element of')

Solutions:

a) Is a subspace, closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication

b) Isn't a subspace, vector addition doesn't hold take (a,1,c) + (d,1,e) = (a+d,2,c+e)
the value for a1 is 1 so its not a subspace.

c) Isn't a subspace, take -x^2 and x^2 under addition they equal 0 and aren't degree 2.

I'm unsure of part c whether I've just interpreted it wrongly or just made a mistake but for some reason i just doesn't feel right..

any help would be appreciated as usual, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is correct from my POV.

forty said:
Use the subspace Theorem to decide if the following are subspaces of P2, the vector space of all polynomials of degree at most 2.

a) R1 = {ao + a1x +a2x^2 | ao = 0}
b) R1 = {ao + a1x +a2x^2 | a1 = 1}
c) R1 = { p E P2 | p has exactly degree 2}

(for part c 'E' is 'element of')

Solutions:

a) Is a subspace, closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication

b) Isn't a subspace, vector addition doesn't hold take (a,1,c) + (d,1,e) = (a+d,2,c+e)
the value for a1 is 1 so its not a subspace.

c) Isn't a subspace, take -x^2 and x^2 under addition they equal 0 and aren't degree 2.
Point of grammar, not mathematics: "and aren't degree 2" implies that -x^2 and x^2 are not of degree 2 which is, of course, not true. You should have said "which isn't degree 2" making it clear that it is their sum, the 0 polynomial, which is not of degree 2.

I'm unsure of part c whether I've just interpreted it wrongly or just made a mistake but for some reason i just doesn't feel right..

any help would be appreciated as usual, thanks :)

Makes sense, will keep it in mind for future reference so i don't get arrested for bad grammar ;)

Love you!

You got a warning this time- next time a ticket!

1. What is the Subspace Theorem?

The Subspace Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that a set of vectors within a vector space must satisfy certain conditions in order for it to be considered a subspace of that vector space.

2. How does the Subspace Theorem relate to "Decide if R1 is in P2"?

The Subspace Theorem is used to determine whether or not a given set of vectors, represented by R1, can be considered a subspace of the vector space P2. This involves checking if the set of vectors satisfies the necessary conditions for a subspace.

3. What are the conditions that must be satisfied for R1 to be a subspace of P2?

In order for R1 to be considered a subspace of P2, it must satisfy three conditions: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector.

4. Can the Subspace Theorem be applied to other vector spaces besides P2?

Yes, the Subspace Theorem can be applied to any vector space. It is a general rule that applies to all vector spaces and helps determine if a given set of vectors can be considered a subspace of that vector space.

5. What are some practical applications of the Subspace Theorem?

The Subspace Theorem is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in linear algebra, physics, and computer science. It is also used in real-life applications, such as in image and signal processing, to determine if a set of data points can be considered a subspace of a larger data set.