1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspaces and dimension

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    Hi, I'm wondering how I would decide how many "subspaces of each dimension [tex]Z_2^3 [/tex] has." The answer is: 1 subspace with dim = 0, 7 with dim = 1, 7 with dim = 2, 1 with dim = 3.

I'm looking for subsets of [tex]Z_2^3 [/tex] which are closed under addition and scalar multiplication. An arbitrary vector in [tex]Z_2^3 [/tex] is (a,b,c) where [tex]a,b,c \in Z_2 [/tex]. I can't think of a general way to do this, trial and error is a possibility and quite time consuming. So I think that there is some concept being tested which I'm not seeing.

Any set consisting of a single vector with the zero vector in Z_2 would be a subspace since it would be closed under addition. But what about sets with 3 or more elements. I'm not sure how to approach this question. Can someone please help me out?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2
    Obviously, there is only one subspace of dimension one and three:
    In general, one has a duality between subspaces of dimension k and n-k. So, you only need to count the number of one dimensional subspaces. There are 2^(3) - 1 = 7 nonzero vectors and they are all linearly independent.
  4. Nov 1, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Obviously "Careful" meant to say "there is only one subspace of dimension zero and three".

Be careful, Careful!
  5. Nov 1, 2005 #4
    Hmm, ok thanks for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?