1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspaces and spans

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    Just a quick question. Is the following okay?:
    The span of a set of vectors corresponds to a subspace in Rn.
    But the span of a set of vectors can also be ALL of Rn, does that mean all of Rn can be considered a subspace? Or does it mean the first definiton is not entirely correct, and instead a span of a set of vectors can simply be used to identify a subspace, if it exists.
    I realise this is a fairly trivial question, but I would like to make sure that I haven't overlooked anything.
    Here is an example of what I mean.
    The span(v1,v2), where [tex]v_{1} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\0\end{array}\right), v_{2} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex] is R2. It is also closed under addition and multiplication, and contains the zero vector, so it satisfies the requirements for a subspace; is it a subspace within, say Rn with n>2? I don't think so, because the vector is composed of two components, and I was thinking a subspace would have to be within the confines of these two dimensions.
    Any help appreciated, if it is not clear I can try to re-explain what I mean. I am hoping it's more of an issue of definition.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, a vector space is a subspace of itself.
  4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is a subspace of itself (you can verify with the definition that it satisfies the properties of a subspace).
  5. Aug 30, 2010 #4
    Thankyou Vela and Rasmhop.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook