1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspaces of a vector space

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let {W_1,W_2,W_3,...} be a collection of proper subspaces of V (i.e. W_i not=V) such that W_i is a subset of W_(i+1) for all i. Prove that U(W_i) (i from 1 to infinity) is a proper subspace of V

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already proven that U(W_i) is a subspace of V, so I only need to show that U(W_i) not= V. I've used induction but that only proves that W_i (i from 1 to n) is a proper subset of V, not U(W_i) (i from 1 to infinity). How do I show that U(W_i) (i from 1 to infinity) is a proper subset of V? I'm familiar with infinite set theory stuff (axiom of choice, etc...), but I don't know how to use it here. I could not use dimensions to help me because infinity minus a number is still infinity. Should I use the complement subsets of W_i?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why can't you DEFINE V to be the union of the W's. Doesn't that V meet all of your premises? But the union of the W's now IS V. I don't see how you could prove the union is a proper subspace.

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    V is given. I cannot give it any definition. {W_1,W_2,W_3,...} is defined to be a collection of proper subspaces of V. I can define Y to be the union of the W's, but then I have to show that Y is a proper subset of V.

5. Nov 27, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm pointing out that Y is a counterexample to what you are trying to prove. So what you are trying to prove can't be true for all V.

6. Nov 27, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or maybe there is something you haven't told us about V. Does it have some sort of completeness property?

7. Nov 28, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For a specific counterexample, let V be the vector space of all polynomials. For every n, let Wn be the subspace of all polynomials of degree less than or equal to n. I believe that satisfies the conditions. The union of all such spaces is V itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?